This is a test... of my latest toy

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is a test to see how usable the keyboard on my new Dell Inspiron Mini 9 is for Internet use. Got what I think is a good deal on one from Sam's club. 1.6 ghz dual core Atom processor, 1 gb ram, webcam, 8gb SSD hard drive running -- yuck -- Windows xp.

Got it last night -- ups was running late -- and today I bought a 32gb SSD and 2gb of ram from Crucial with plans tinker and see if I can dual boot linux and/or maybe even mac osx for a travel box.

I have to say, xp is running pretty snappy so I can't imagine how good it'll run with a real os like mac os x.

Wayne

And I'm just playing with the latest OWB. I'm impressed.

You can actually fit XP and software on an 8GB drive? Cool. SSDs are still rather expensive aren't they? I'm still planning a HTPC and my plan was to use only SSDs but they're just SO not cheap. Anyway, neat little toy.

And ya, what's OWB? I keep thinking it's something "O"-"Work Bench", but that can't be right. :)

Glaucus said:
And ya, what's OWB? I keep thinking it's something "O"-"Work Bench", but that can't be right. :)

You got me, I was thinking

"O'ver Weft Bawl" but that doesn't work either.

Wayne

OWB!

OMG, U dnt no?

erm.. sorry about that. :whack:

Origyn Web Browser on AmigaOS 4.0

I tried an earlier version and it was slow and unwieldy a bit, and then there were a few versions in between that didn't seem to run at all for me - and then I tried the latest one and ... wow.

Very snappy, very capable. No tabbed browsing (but without upgrading to 4.1 with VM that's probably a good thing considering how I tend to abuse tabs).

Hey that's cool. I always though that any AmigaOS is not viable unless it has some modern web browser. OWB, based on WebKit, seems a good step in that direction. Of course I'm sure it lacks Java/Flash/Silverlight, but the Amiga has finally got full CSS & Javascript. It's about time! :)

The Mini is a nice little toy, although the SSD tend to be a little to small for anything else than surfing. Let us know what the XP experiments result in.

whabang said:
The Mini is a nice little toy, although the SSD tend to be a little to small for anything else than surfing. Let us know what the XP experiments result in.
Day one, replaced 8gb SSD with Crucial.com 32gb SSD. Wiped XP. Installed Mac OS X 10.5.6. Life was good.

(segwayne.com for my full rant)

Hehe, fully understandable. :)
Unfortunately, Dell's HSDPA cards don't work properly under Linux, so I'm stuck with Vista for the moment. Cuts the batterytime in half just because Vista can't figure out how to use power-saving features properly. :(

Back