This is why I don't watch the Olympics

redrumloa

Reaction score
IOC turns blind eye to controversy over China's kiddie gymnasts
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/o ... /?bcnn=yes

Blame-shifting is easier for others. While Sacramone revealed grace, U.S. coach Martha Karolyi revealed her doubts, feeding the age conspiracy issue by saying, "I have no clue [if they are 16]. I cannot make that call. ... It could be true. One little girl has a missing tooth."

This dental obsession must be a Karolyi family trait. Her husband, Bela, made a similar assessment last week before the competition began, bellowing, "Look in their mouths. It's like itty bitty teeth."

The investigation into the mouths of babes has been far from intensive. Basically the international gymnastics federation agrees with the birth date evidence provided by Chinese officials. And that is that. The Olympic caretaker of fairness, the IOC, has stayed largely out of the debate, with its members ever cautious not to offend host China. They see blue skies when others see pollution. They distanced themselves from Olympian Joey Cheek when his visa was revoked. They don't dare rattle sponsors who crave the consumer love of 1.3 billion people.

00.opgl-28578-mid.jpg

Last time I checked 16 year olds don't lose baby teeth. Shit, the only event I watched while channel surfing was woman's weight lifting. There was an Asian woman, I suppose Chinese, who looked like Arnold Schwarzenegger, had worse acne than I ever did and a nasty 5 o'clock shadow. IOC cares nothing for fair competition, just making money.

Blame-shifting is easier for others. While Sacramone revealed grace, U.S. coach Martha Karolyi revealed her doubts, feeding the age conspiracy issue by saying, "I have no clue [if they are 16]. I cannot make that call. ... It could be true. One little girl has a missing tooth."

This dental obsession must be a Karolyi family trait. Her husband, Bela, made a similar assessment last week before the competition began, bellowing, "Look in their mouths. It's like itty bitty teeth."

The investigation into the mouths of babes has been far from intensive. Basically the international gymnastics federation agrees with the birth date evidence provided by Chinese officials. And that is that. The Olympic caretaker of fairness, the IOC, has stayed largely out of the debate, with its members ever cautious not to offend host China. They see blue skies when others see pollution. They distanced themselves from Olympian Joey Cheek when his visa was revoked. They don't dare rattle sponsors who crave the consumer love of 1.3 billion people.

00.opgl-28578-mid.jpg

Last time I checked 16 year olds don't lose baby teeth. Shit, the only event I watched while channel surfing was woman's weight lifting. There was an Asian woman, I suppose Chinese, who looked like Arnold Schwarzenegger, had worse acne than I ever did and a nasty 5 o'clock shadow. IOC cares nothing for fair competition, just making money.

00.opgl-28578-mid.jpg

00.opgl-28578-mid.jpg

00.opgl-28578-mid.jpg

00.opgl-28578-mid.jpg

Does it matter if they are children? I mean, does it give them any advantage?

In tennis, for example, under 16s can play in the adult tournament at Wimbledon.

In tennis, for example, under 16s can play in the adult tournament at Wimbledon.

That's why you don't watch the Olympics? Give over!

I'm finding this scenario very hard to swallow:
Jim's house:
"Hey, the 100m final is on and there are four US nationals sprinting, should be a really exciting race for a big, old patriot like me but I won't watch it because there's a chance that the host nation might have fielded someone under 16 years old in the gymnastics."

Nope. I'm not wearing it. There's no way you're that petty.

Jim's house:
"Hey, the 100m final is on and there are four US nationals sprinting, should be a really exciting race for a big, old patriot like me but I won't watch it because there's a chance that the host nation might have fielded someone under 16 years old in the gymnastics."

Jim's house:

Jim's house:

Jim's house:

Jim's house:

Robert said:

Cheating is ok because it is China, check.

Robert said:

Cheating is ok because it is China, check.

Back