"Too much time on my hands"..

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
As the old Styx song goes, I'm shortly going to find myself with "too much time on my hands".

Another bout of unemployment, which of course means I will be terribly bored and -- should the whimsy strike me -- prone to fiddle with things. I'm already rebuilding segwayne.com, and messing with Web sites is probably the cheapest diversion I could have. It's either that, or get on the bike and ride to Disney World. Problem is, no money.. :)

Hope all is well with you guys.

Wayne

Wayne said:
As the old Styx song goes, I'm shortly going to find myself with "too much time on my hands".

Another bout of unemployment, which of course means I will be terribly bored and -- should the whimsy strike me -- prone to fiddle with things. I'm already rebuilding segwayne.com, and messing with Web sites is probably the cheapest diversion I could have. It's either that, or get on the bike and ride to Disney World. Problem is, no money.. :)

Hope all is well with you guys.

Wayne

Ack, sorry to hear about the unemployment. Am sure you'll be back on your feet in no time :)

Am doing ok atm... Got an interview on Thursday myself so, fingers crossed.

the_leander said:

Break the proverbial leg sir. Let us know how it goes.

Wayne

Hey, what happened with your iPad site? What was it called again?

Glaucus said:
Hey, what happened with your iPad site? What was it called again?
It was/is ipadico.com, but like most ideas, it never really went anywhere.

Wayne

Wayne said:
the_leander said:

Wayne

I got a phone call around 10am today from the person I was to be interviewed by, it's been rescheduled for tomorrow at 14:30.

I promise you I didn't swear once, even when the phonecall ended.

Though I'd be lying if I didn't feel my arse brace for epic when the fella informed me that we wouldn't be having an interview today.

Ho hum.

Though I'd be lying if I didn't feel my arse brace for epic when the fella informed me that we wouldn't be having an interview today.

Ho hum.
well that sucks but at least he didn't just cancel, so there's still hope.

the_leander said:
Wayne said:
[quote="the_leander":5yixmbd9]Am doing ok atm... Got an interview on Thursday myself so, fingers crossed.

Wayne

I got a phone call around 10am today from the person I was to be interviewed by, it's been rescheduled for tomorrow at 14:30.

Ho hum.[/quote:5yixmbd9]
holy crap, don't invest so much emotion in one interview.

back in the day when I had interviews I would go in with the attitude that if these people didn't appreciate my work ethic and talent then it was their loss. And i don't mean I walked in snotty. I just had a healthy amount of confidence. I got 90% of the jobs I went in for.

and this was all before I got the Emmy's.

just believe in yourself. you will be fine

cecilia said:
I guess now you just send over "Emmy" to do the talking for you? :lol:

Glaucus said:
cecilia said:
I guess now you just send over "Emmy" to do the talking for you? :lol:
well, I sure don't get shy about a casual mention. :mrgreen:

cecilia said:
the_leander said:

Ho hum.
holy crap, don't invest so much emotion in one interview.

back in the day when I had interviews I would go in with the attitude that if these people didn't appreciate my work ethic and talent then it was their loss. And i don't mean I walked in snotty. I just had a healthy amount of confidence. I got 90% of the jobs I went in for.

just believe in yourself. you will be fine

So, I go to the interview today, I'm not feeling 100%, in fact it'd be fair to say I felt like death warmed up. But I put on a brave face.

We sit down and everything seems to be going ok - my previous experiences show up ok - I'm just the sort of guy he is looking for.

Aces!

Then I get the bombshell dropped on me.

"Well actually chances are we won't be taking anyone on for at least a month and possibly not even then."

It's at this point the area surrounding the building becomes quiet, as if some natural disaster is about to hit. Birds no longer chirp, people stop and look around. A feeling of fear pervades.

Me: <nothing, not a single movement, not so much as a twitch>

In fact it's the sort of stillness usually reserved for predators who are about to give a herbivore a really shitty day.

Interviewer: <oblivious to the still silence that abounds in the office> "I just wanted to see what kind person you were."

In the back of my head a warning light flicks on <ohshit> the one next to it reads <WAR> and is reserved for almighty hairballs not usually seen outside of football riots. This guy is a hairs breadth from being spread across the office like strawberry jam.

"But now I have you here, I'll tell you what I'm going to do, I've a bunch of mates who are also into this game who are taking on. So what I'm going to do, is give them a bell".

My brain frantically attempts to fall back to a peace setting and all I can come up with is "buh?" A moment later I manage to get out "Thanks very much!" as my brain resets to defcon 5. I'm dizzy, I'm in shock, I'm running a temperature of 104 and rising.

He then proceeds to phone up several companies and get the lay of the land - I now have the contact details for a half dozen companies and a recommendation from this guy.

I'm so far beyond shock at this point it isn't funny.

I leave wondering wtf just happened. But happy that I have some leads.

And then I get home and start hallucinating. I crash harder than an unpatched Win95 box and well I woke up about an hour ago with a splitting headache, but no more temperature.

So yeah, was an interesting day.

How is everyone else?

The TL;DR version:

Woke up feeling like shit, interview went a bit wonky and I was a little annoyed at having my time wasted, but it came out good in the end.

I did however end up crawling back into bed feeling like crap with an epic migraine and a stonkingly high temperature.

I did enjoy writing the first version though :D

:lol: You've got good timing. Can't you schedule you hallucinogenic fevers more conveniently?

see, this is why I'll never be a writer...I just don't get emotional about certain things. (Yeah, I get pissed off when someone shits on me, or tries to)..but a job interview - while sometimes slightly stressful - doesn't mean anything in itself.

I only get excited when the money has cleared in the bank.

and if this interview was really a way to network, then you have lost nothing

FluffyMcDeath said:
:lol: You've got good timing. Can't you schedule you hallucinogenic fevers more conveniently?

:lol: tell me about it!

I get hit by something like this maybe once in a couple of years.

Bah!

Well, had an interview last Thursday, tomorrow I'm going in to confirm I got a place.

Security gig at a college. Good money and night shifts available. (booyah!)

According to the jobcentre guy who chased up the company earlier this week the feedback was excellent, apparently I came over very well in the interview, even with my spotty work history.

My brain may have slightly melted upon getting told that, basically if they get the contract, I get a spot. (Being able to say I'd done nights in the past and enjoyed them got me far in that interview :) )

This melting is evidenced by the slightly manic text message Karlos received shortly after I got out of there.

So yeah, finally. Sorted, probably. :D

the_leander said:
So yeah, finally. Sorted, probably. :D
Without wishing to sway the balance of karma in the universe, I sincerely wish you good luck with everything.

Wayne

Not to take away from Alan's potential good news, but as an official "on topic post", I've been having an idea crush lately.

Dunno if everyone's seen my newly revised blog (segwayne.com) but I've been toying with the idea of building a new site at flusterduck.com using a variation of the same install and theme (different colors and logo for the "fluster duck" obviously), then installing a module called "vanilla forums".

I don't know HOW it works just yet, it's just an idea, but rather than a dozen forums, we'd essentially have one scrolling list of conversations.

see http://support.makedesignnotwar.com as an example of a vanilla forum.

The difference between flusterduck and whyzzat being that fd would be for jokes, viral videos, and stuff like that.

*If* it works, Then, I would start working to adapt it to replace this current forum-style site. Like the Amiga.org of old, we could have a "submit news" page, OR, I could just make everyone here an editor under Wordpress (I believe you've pretty much all earned my trust like that).

The benefits would be required registration for posting, seemingly decent spam protection, and we could all post news items, making it a "new Amiga.org" without the random acts of silliness.

BTW, I need for someone artistic to see what they can come up with as a logo for flusterduck.com, I'm thinking something like http://www.shutterstock.com/pic.mhtml?id=3419559 but honestly -- being unemployed -- I can't really dig the $50 for a subscription right now, and wouldn't really want to use a copywritten logo which anyone could buy..

Thoughts?

Wayne

Back