Woman files wrongful-death suit over live birth abortion

redrumloa

Reaction score
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/ ... 4558.story

Williams sought an abortion in 2006 from Gonzalez's clinic, but she says her 23-week-old infant was instead born alive and thrown out in a plastic bag. The wrongful-death civil lawsuit, filed in January, accuses Gonzalez, 43, of Miramar, of attending to the surprise live birth before a doctor could arrive.

The suit claims Gonzalez knocked the infant off a chair where Williams had given birth, scooping the baby and afterbirth into the red bag.

The Hialeah case wasn't the first time Gonzalez was accused of illegally practicing medical care.

Broward County court records show she pleaded no contest in 2007 to a single felony charge of practicing healthcare without a license.

Her charge stemmed from employing unlicensed personnel to perform abortions at a Miramar clinic she helped run from 2002 to 2004. She was sentenced to five years probation.

I have no problem with this. In essence, she didn't get what she paid for. End of story.

Wayne said:
I have no problem with this. In essence, she didn't get what she paid for. End of story.

Wrongful death? This has serious implications. While I agree there is irony in a woman going in for an abortion can file a wrongful-death suit, I agree it should be treated as a homicide.

redrumloa said:
Wayne said:

Wrongful death? This has serious implications. While I agree there is irony in a woman going in for an abortion can file a wrongful-death suit, I agree it should be treated as a homicide.
True enough. What I just don't understand -- and I'm not defending the doctor's actions in ANY way -- is that the woman obviously didn't want the baby anyway. Now when she stands to make millions, she cares?

The doctor's actions are unforgivable (given the facts we do know), but all the same, this smells more of profiteering than caring. Woman goes in for abortion, the unthinkable happens, the press get hold of the story and now she's filing a civil suit?

I'm all for putting the doctor behind bars forever. Got no problems with that, but the motivation of the woman (I won't say mother) who didn't want the child in the first place is suspect to me in this case.

Wayne

My only real question in this is why did this woman wait so damn long for an abortion? Waiting nigh on 6 months?! WTF!?

Agreed. I don't know what the rules are like in the US, but abortions after week 12 is illegal here, unless there is a very good reason to not proceed with the pregnancy.

Back