Woodworking? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller??

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi. My name is Wayne... I have a problem...

With all the stupidity going on around us these days, I truly feel blessed that my wife and I are gainfully employed. We both now work from home 100%, whereas I started off 0%, then earlier moved to 3 days teleworking, now -- because of this situation -- I'm all in at home.

Even being blessed as we are, this is not without its stresses and I feel like I'm going off the deep end in one respect.

As I may have mentioned about a year ago, I have developed a new joy for woodworking. First, the desk I'm writing this from (the automated sit/stand desk), then a rack for my shoes which looks conspicuously like an ikea Expedit rack (no written plans, just looked at it and went "I can build that"). Third project was a queen-sized headboard which turned out functionally 100%, but finish-wise, about a C+ grade. Gotta work on that.

Most recently, I built an end-table for the living room to sit my drinks and other stuff on. Again, Lisa saw a table in World Market and I said "I can build that" and I did, from memory. I *still* suck at staining, but I'm trying, eh?

That's not really my problem though, see? I'm a tool hoarder. I have a 12x12 shed where my washer/dryer live which also doubles as my shop. When I first started out, Ryobi was having one of their "starter kit" deals where you buy two batteries for $99 and get a free tool with it. So.. With 6 batteries in the house along with a sander, nailer, and router, I've kind of fell down the big green rabbit hole (Ryobi's signature color btw)...

Enter about three months ago, I was bored and browsing the local Facebook Marketplace when I stumbled across a local store which ONLY sells Home Depot return pallet goods at 50% of whatever Home Depot is selling that part for, that day, meaning you could get new, refurbished, or reconditioned tools and house goods -- including Ryobi One+ tools, for half off. Oh shit... Here we go. (At this point, there are figuratively few Ryobi One+ tools I don't own, including a lawnmower, weed blowers, vacuums, and even a shop stereo... Lisa simultaneously thinks it's hysterical and that I need to seek professional help :) )

Yesterday I deviated from the green, and received a DeWalt 12" sliding compound miter saw... This morning -- and I'm bullshitting myself into justifying it as a birthday present -- I stumbled across a Delta Contractor Saw on HomeDepot.com which kinda looks like it stole 99% of it's ideas from the Dewalt 7491, but it's mostly aluminum and not all plastic... Toss in the 61" Husky Rolling tool cabinet I almost herniated myself for (stupidly trying to deadlift 353 pounds by myself), and I'm out of space in the itty-bitty shed.

That's my problem... Now that I'm out of tools to buy, I've got to start building stuff..

Tomorrow and Sunday, I plan to build a hutch for my desk to block out sunlight. My desk faces a large series of Eastern-facing windows which sucks for computer use in the morning. I also plan to tackle a recreation of the end-table to see where I can improve my finishing prowess.

When the new table saw gets here, I might think about trying out cabinet building since we need a new kitchen island.

What's the height restriction on sheds in your area?
Unfortunately it's not a matter of height, width or other dimension. When Lisa and I moved down to Florida (rapidly), there were issues with renting a place such as a big scary dog and a cat. Having spent a great deal on the physical move itself, we weren't in a position to put a down payment on a house, so we just bought a mobile home outright, but it's on one of those 55+ communities with like 100 other mobile homes. The land doesn't belong to us, so... SOL until we hit the lottery I guess...

"I've kind of fell down the big green rabbit hole (Ryobi's signature color btw)... "

vintage ryobi blue!

"That's my problem... Now that I'm out of tools to buy, I've got to start building stuff.."

rofl "out of tools to buy" rofl

Project Suggestions: Dont know if you have seen the epoxy / wood table projects

Back