wow at all the iPad haters out there...

Wayne said:
@red

Wow... a true hater. Cool enough. I'll leave you to tinker with your C128 then.

I'm no hater, I was actually an advocate of Apple products a couple years before you got your first iMac. Just because I don't see a need for an iPad, doesn't mean I'm a hater. I wasn't a huge fan of AppleTV either (after I found out it's limitations).

You asked a question, I answered. Nothing more nothing less. I am enjoying my 128 very much, thanks :)

_edit-
Speaking of ultra-portable devices earlier, the GP2X Wiz is looking very tempting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X_Wiz

Gp2xwiz.jpg

Glaucus said:
Wayne, I think you have to admit that omitting a USB port on the iPad is something that does limit the device in many ways. Honestly, I never knew about this until I read it here today, but to me that's gotta be one of the biggest drawbacks I've heard yet. Apple does a good job of simplifying things, but that's usually at the cost of removing flexibility or functionality (and in the case of the iPad, both). You can't blame someone for not appreciating those limitations.

edit, sorry Jim, Glaucus, got my wires crossed on the reply.

You have yet to provide a single legitimate reason that you want, or could even use a USB port.

You aren't "appreciating the limitations", you are imagining a limitation that doesn't exist, based solely on your own preconceived notion that -- to you -- "it serves no purpose".

I initially thought the same thing, before I realized that it wasn't supposed to be a desktop replacement. I will reiterate however that it -- so far -- has admirably replaced 99% of the functionality of my laptop. Videos, music, e-mail, movies, TV shows, podcasts, note taking, spreadsheets and everything else I was using the macbook pro for.

In the mean time, while I am *not* mad at anyone in this conversation, I find myself bemused. You haven't seen one, you haven't used one, you haven't even touched one, but your mind is made up because it doesn't happen to have a port that on it that would serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

If you want to pretend it does matter, and you're such a mad hacker, why not grab the specs and build a cable adapter. THEN build the software to use it, THEN put it out there for the jailbroken 'pads...?

Wayne

I thought I already gave you a pretty good use for USB: 3G adapter. But what if I just want it to power a USB fan to keep me cool in the hot summer? You're right, the wifi capable iPad is great for getting music and stuff from iTunes, but what if I have an 8GB jump drive full of songs I'd like to share with you while on the subway? Or maybe a PDF of a book I'd like to read? Maybe I don't want to hook up to a wifi router or one isn't available. What you tell me is that the iPad allows you to do certain things but provides you with only one way to do things, the Apple way (and that's typically buying things from the iTunes stores). There's a reason why everyone I know has jailbroken their iPhone.

And btw, the Kindle has USB 2.0.

But Wayne, that's just why I don't have one and probably won't get one. Don't let that frustrate you. I know you love yours and I'm happy you do. Enjoy it.

Glaucus,

Thank you. Those are valid, if not capricious uses I had not particularly thought of. That being said, there *is* an SD reader available for swapping stuff, but yes, I understand exactly what you're saying about your uses for a USB port. They're not things I would need to do, but you're the first person to provide me with a legitimate use for one.

Here's the thing though... Saturday was literally "day one" for iPad 1.0. I'm sure that someone out there with a little wiring knowledge and skill will come up with some way to make a "usb dongle" to attach to the bus connector and provide that capability. Whether or not the iPad will need to be jailbroken is a different story.

BTW, it took them exactly two hours to jailbreak the iPad.

As for me, yeah, I guess I am a little frustrated. I don't tinker (outside of the occasional hackintosh) and that stuff doesn't interest me. I was literally sitting there Sunday with Lee and lunch, talking to the "bar regulars" that I see every week, showing off the iPad (at their request) when a 70 year old man parrots off "but it doesn't have a USB port!"..

When I asked him what he needed one for, he LITERALLY had no idea what it is, "that's just what he'd heard". Then I see dozens of what I would consider good, solid tech heads trashing the device, sight unseen, without even the slightest interest in seeing whether what they were saying was actually TRUE, and it gets to you.

As for me, Once I get the 3G and hook up the bluetooth kb/mouse, I have a distinct feeling the macbook pro is going to be sold... Too early to tell though.

For those of you who've forgotten what it feels like, THIS is what it felt like when I got my first Amiga in 1988... Amiga 500. Completely useless out of the box, but totally mesmerizing... The iPad (though I hate the name) is the exact same for me, only portable...

Wayne said:
You have yet to provide a single legitimate reason that you want, or could even use a USB port.

Connectivity with other devices?

Plug in the IPad to a computer via USB to sync it.
Plug in a USB memory stick to copy files on to it. If the iPad is its own little island that can only talk to the internet and the Apple Store then it's no use to me.

I don't see what all the fuss is about. It's another product that does nothing new but has a decent user interface + an Apple sticker.

Apple is selling a special iPad camera pack which includes a dock-port-to-USB adapter and an SD card reader. As usual, it is rather expensive, however. Plus, anybody who has seen a video showing a dismantled iPad knows that the iPad case is mostly empty. Apple could have easily fit an SD card reader and USB port in there. Not to mention a webcam. If 250 USD netbooks can include one, there is really no good reason why an iPad cannot.

Nevertheless, there is at least some way to connect certain USB devices to an iPad...

It will be interesting to see what the final price of the HP Slate will be. It is supposed to include USB ports, an SD card reader and a webcam. Also, it will run a "full" and unrestricted OS (namely Windows 7) in addition to a special software stack developed by HP (probably similar to what they have used for their existing touchscreen desktop computers).

redrumloa said:
Wayne said:
@red

Wow... a true hater. Cool enough. I'll leave you to tinker with your C128 then.

I'm no hater, I was actually an advocate of Apple products a couple years before you got your first iMac. Just because I don't see a need for an iPad, doesn't mean I'm a hater. I wasn't a huge fan of AppleTV either (after I found out it's limitations).

You asked a question, I answered. Nothing more nothing less. I am enjoying my 128 very much, thanks :)

_edit-
Speaking of ultra-portable devices earlier, the GP2X Wiz is looking very tempting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X_Wiz

Gp2xwiz.jpg
this article
http://www.gadgetnutz.com/2010/03/17/am ... le-gp2wiz/

lists the links to add amiga emulation with the Wiz

Glaucus said:
Wayne, I think you have to admit that omitting a USB port on the iPad is something that does limit the device in many ways. Honestly, I never knew about this until I read it here today, but to me that's gotta be one of the biggest drawbacks I've heard yet. Apple does a good job of simplifying things, but that's usually at the cost of removing flexibility or functionality (and in the case of the iPad, both). You can't blame someone for not appreciating those limitations.
It's not exactly an omission. There's the Camera USB dongle for an additional $30. You just get nickeled and dimed for the things people want. Like a camera.

Apple seems to be sucessful at locking the market to only what they will. If Microsoft did the same thing they'd get sued. IMO, the EU needs to investigate Apple, too.

faethor said:
There's the Camera USB dongle for an additional $30. You just get nickeled and dimed for the things people want. Like a camera.
Agreed.

Apple seems to be successful at locking the market to only what they will. If Microsoft did the same thing they'd get sued. IMO, the EU needs to investigate Apple, too.
I'm not sure. While I'm not defending Apple's "lock down" of hardware and software (I do understand it), there is a subtle but substantial difference.

With the desktop OS, Apple doesn't actively work to prevent other programs from working correctly or being installed. You write it, you distribute it, you can install it. Microsoft has historically played dirty tricks, like making it nearly impossible to NOT use their Internet Explorer, or making it difficult to install Netscape / Firefox, etc. Same with audio and video players.

Buying into the "stability" argument, mobile devices (phones, iPods, iPads) are a little different. Their marketing idea is to attract developers to the program by providing essentially a "cash cow machine" wherein people write programs, then sell them through the App store.

Is that tied down? Absolutely, but strategically it's a brilliant idea, as it frees up developers to write instead of having to worry about building web sites and distribution. Not saying it's right, I'm saying it sucks, but that's the way it is.

If the EU, or any other organization were to come after Apple, it will probably be because Apple doesn't allow for "third-party stores", but then again, Apple doesn't really seem to care if you jailbreak your phone to use the other side's store, so they're technically allowing you the option.

Correction. Apple cares, but only to the extent that they will patch the holes in the OS that they consider security flaws. Other flaws, like the one used to break the iPad in two hours, have gone unfixed for at least 9 months so far.

To try and guess / paraphrase Apple's stance,

"Use our Apple store and get what we consider to be stable products, or break your phone and use whatever you want, but we don't have to support your phone once broken."

Again, not trying to defend Apple, because I'd love to try some of the apps that only exist in the jailbroken store, but if I'm right above, I really don't have a problem with that type of stance.

(I wonder how many of you will realize that Apple's App store and process is EXACTLY what Bill McEwen was trying to do with his dream of turning "the Amiga" into a cellphone company...?)

Wayne said:
As for me, yeah, I guess I am a little frustrated. I don't tinker (outside of the occasional hackintosh) and that stuff doesn't interest me. I was literally sitting there Sunday with Lee and lunch, talking to the "bar regulars" that I see every week, showing off the iPad (at their request) when a 70 year old man parrots off "but it doesn't have a USB port!"..

Easy there big guy. Don't let the rabble get to you. Just because everyone does not see the iPad as the "next revolution" is no reason to be frustrated. We all have our differences. I would remind you that for now, I also regard the iPad (certainly the Wi-Fi only version) as nothing more than an enlarged iPod Touch. And I do not consider myself a "hater". 8)

I cannot (for now anyway) find any use for the iPad that I cannot do on my iPod Touch. Considering what I use my iPod Touch for, I think that is a fair statement for me to make. Now when the 3G version comes out it will offer more versatility via (usually) constant connection but then there is that whole AT&T thing... :wink:

Still, enjoy your new toy. Just because we didn't care for 2012 and now apparently not for the iPad either is no reason to lose it. There... feel better? (jab...jab...jab...) :p

Regards,
Ltstanfo

I reserve the right to lose my ever-lovin' mind over gadgets completely at random, just like those who lost theirs over politics. Neener neener.

Wayne said:
I reserve the right to lose my ever-lovin' mind over gadgets completely at random, just like those who lost theirs over politics. Neener neener.

Yes, but I was right! :mrgreen:

Your rant has yet to be proved correct. :wink:

Regards,
Ltstanfo

ltstanfo said:
Wayne said:

Yes, but I was right! :mrgreen:

Your rant has yet to be proved correct. :wink:

Regards,
Ltstanfo
Which part exactly?

*I*... am a multi-faceted ranting expert. A winner of the coveted "Third Degree Lucy" award..

Wayne said:
With the desktop OS, Apple doesn't actively work to prevent other programs from working correctly or being installed. You write it, you distribute it, you can install it. Microsoft has historically played dirty tricks, like making it nearly impossible to NOT use their Internet Explorer, or making it difficult to install Netscape / Firefox, etc. Same with audio and video players.
To a degree this is correct. Apple prevents licensing of the codecs for the iPod. They have prevented other devices from connecting to the iTunes store.

Is that tied down? Absolutely, but strategically it's a brilliant idea, as it frees up developers to write instead of having to worry about building web sites and distribution. Not saying it's right, I'm saying it sucks, but that's the way it is.
I agree that's the way it is. There seems to be a hate the Microsoft restriction and love Apple being more restrictive in the marketplace.

(I wonder how many of you will realize that Apple's App store and process is EXACTLY what Bill McEwen was trying to do with his dream of turning "the Amiga" into a cellphone company...?)
I'd agree. Though the problem at the time was the brand wasn't notable nor was McEwen.

@Wayne

Did you name your iPad "Jed" ?

Wayne I read the ArsTechnica review this morning. Thanks.

Back