Yes, it's Fascism

The police spy on peace activists and environmentalists. This is a 50 minute documentary about one undercover officer and so I don't expect people to necessarily have the time to watch it but I found it revealing.

Without wanting to take away from the real concerns you've raised, police infiltration has been going on for decades. Peace movements in the 60's for instance. This isn't new by any stretch.

I'm kinda torn on this one however. On one hand it can and has been ruthlessly abused by states for a number of reasons in the past. On the other the state has a duty of care and not all groups are what they say they are.

Its a conundrum to be sure.

Part of the problem many pro-peace groups face is that they are often infiltrated by a bunch of extremists, which is what attracts the police.

The FBI have also infiltrated the KKK and Satanists. With the Satanists they ended up doing nothing, but with the KKK they ended up disrupting them.

The FBI have also infiltrated the KKK and Satanists. With the Satanists they ended up doing nothing, but with the KKK they ended up disrupting them.

Satanists? They would be better off infiltrating Jehovah Witness cults.

Satanists? They would be better off infiltrating Jehovah Witness cults.

Never underestimate the power of fear/prejudice - especially when it comes to things like witchcraft or Satanism. But in this case yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you on this particular comparison.

In UK police blogs they often talk of "professional protesters" and I suspect they're talking about the same sort of people Glaucus is pointing to. A relatively small group who go from cause to cause, go into what might otherwise be well organised, legitimate protest groups with the express intent of provoking violence, often sidelining long term supporters for lack of dedication.

In the UK at least thanks to shortcomings of the justice system such people have incredibly high numbers of convictions with little or no actual jail time attached unless they're unlucky enough to make the news, even then not often.

Back