Another mass shooting

Well, what did you take from it? Was it just an example of classic racism, maybe a shrewd political stunt? What do you see going on in that clip? How do you feel towards any and all of those people in the clip if you had no idea who any of them were?

I think it was clearly a show of respect. Ben Carsen was called but he apparently didn't hear it or got confused. While primaries get nasty, I think Ben Carsen is probably someone Trump actually respects.

Well, what did you take from it?
Nothing of any significance.
Was it just an example of classic racism,
Not that I noticed.
maybe a shrewd political stunt?
Don't think so.
What do you see going on in that clip?
Ben Carson walking out but apparently missing his cue (perhaps he didn't hear it), stopping then ushering Cruz in front of him.
Some floor manager type then tries to shoo Carson on from the sidelines.
When Trump is announced he either ignores or also misses his cue, walks out slowly, pats Carson on the arm and stands beside him, allowing the rest to go in front.
Carson is then re-announced and walks on.
Trump is then re-announced and walks on last.

How do you feel towards any and all of those people in the clip if you had no idea who any of them were?

Ambivalent.

Nonetheless, I find it interesting that you've gone right ahead and attributed Trump's behaviour to courage and altruism.
Perhaps it is, perhaps it isn't.
I don't see enough to conclude one way or the other but I do think your conclusion says at least as much about your opinion of Trump as it does mine.
Even more so that you raised it in response to me being sceptical about Trump displaying such traits when unarmed and outside a school where a heavily armed psychopath is in the process of committing mass murder. Even if I were to concede your point, the scenarios are so different as to make any comparison of associated courage or altruism utterly bizarre.

Instagram image of Lego assault rifle, threat lead to 14-year-old’s arrest
San Diego County teen wrote Tuesday evening: "Don’t come to school tomorrow."
DXJyslCVAAAmdpa.jpg

And that word 'terrorist' again:

Instagram image of Lego assault rifle, threat lead to 14-year-old’s arrest
San Diego County teen wrote Tuesday evening: "Don’t come to school tomorrow."
DXJyslCVAAAmdpa.jpg

And that word 'terrorist' again:

Lunacy. GMOs, fluoride in the water, modern vaccine regiments, chemtrails, one of these or something else is dumbing down the population big time. This all can't be coincidental. It is frightening to think these people are raising kids, out there driving on the roads, voting.

Judge bars student from violent games after alleged shooting threat
"You can play all the Mario Kart you want," judge says.
doom-800x451.jpg

One of the many games an Illinois student won't be able to play after threatening a school shooting.
A DuPage County, Illinois judge has barred a suburban Chicago-area student from playing violent video games during his home detention at the State's Attorney's request, after the 16-year-old made threats to commit a school shooting.

The Chicago Tribune reports on the case of the unnamed Lake Park High School student, who was allegedly playing a violent game in a February 23 Snapchat post where he wrote, "Y’all need to shut up about school shootings or I’ll do one."

A DuPage County state's attorney spokesperson confirmed to Ars that Assistant State's Attorney Louisa Nuckolls made a motion to bar the student from social media and violent video games as a condition of his release into home detention. Judge Robert Anderson overruled an objection from the student's public defender and admonished the parents, according to the spokesperson, assigning them responsibility for "keeping him off those games."

-EDIT-
Releated:
Trump plans to meet with game industry over gun violence next week
ESA says its members haven't heard anything. White House says invites are coming.

President Trump plans to meet with members of the video game industry next week "to see what they can do" on the issue of gun violence.

Given the video game industry don't sell guns or treat mental illness, I'm guessing the answer will be "not a lot".

Last edited:
Perhaps the answer is just to have a country-wide, year-long NRA convention:

During NRA conventions, gun injuries drop 20% nationwide—63% in hosting state
When gun enthusiasts gather for the National Rifle Association’s annual conventions, rates of gun-related injuries and deaths drop by 20 percent nationwide—and a whopping 63 percent in the hosting state—according to an analysis published this week in the New England Journal of Medicine.

The finding was based on an analysis of insurance data on gun injury rates during NRA conventions from 2007 through 2015, as well as rates three weeks before and three weeks after each of the conventions. The researchers behind the work—health policy expert Anupam Jena, MD, PhD of Harvard Medical School and economist Andrew Olenski of Columbia University—also looked at crime rates during those times.

“When we say ‘thoughts and prayers,’ it’s frowned upon. And I take real offense at that because thoughts and prayers are really the only thing that’s gonna stop the evil from within the individual who is taking up their arms to do this kind of a massacre.”

Florida State Sen. Kelli Stargel

Can I get an amen?
:lol:

"It’s not the weapon that matters, Stargel said, but rather “the evil from within” that causes people to commit heinous crimes."

riiiiight, what a wacko

Two months of daily GTA causes “no significant changes” in behavior

researchers had 90 adult participants play either Grand Theft Auto V or The Sims 3 for at least 30 minutes every day over eight weeks (a control group played no games during the testing period). The adults chosen, who ranged from 18 to 45 years old, reported little to no video game play in the previous six months and were screened for pre-existing psychological problems before the tests.

The participants were subjected to a wide battery of 52 established questionnaires intended to measure "aggression, sexist attitudes, empathy, and interpersonal competencies, impulsivity-related constructs (such as sensation seeking, boredom proneness, risk taking, delay discounting), mental health (depressivity, anxiety) as well as executive control functions." The tests were administered immediately before and immediately after the two-month gameplay period and also two months afterward, in order to measure potential continuing effects.

Over 208 separate comparisons (52 tests; violent vs. non-violent and control groups; pre- vs. post- and two-months-later tests), only three subjects showed a statistically significant effect of the violent gameplay at a 95 percent confidence level. Pure chance would predict more than 10 of the 208 comparisons would be significant at that level, leading the researchers to conclude "that there were no detrimental effects of violent video game play."

As video games continue to be a convenient scapegoat for many politicians and critics in the wake of continuing school shootings, this new comprehensive study "provide strong evidence against the frequently debated negative effects of playing violent video games," as the authors put it.

Well, yeah, of course. I think it's all pretty well established that video games aren't a significant contributor to any aspect of our problems, here. But, like video games, themselves, another look into them is a great distraction. Looking at it from the President's perspective, he's boxed in. There is clearly a problem with violence in the country. This isn't really a problem he's equipped to deal with, though. People on the coasts are demanding tighter gun control. But, for better or worse, he was elected and has strongest support from more rural interior of America, and these are the people most likely to be heard on social issues, right now. And outside of the big cities, guns have a long, long tradition in families. When you grow up in a family that still has great, great Grandpa's musket... And a traditional right of passage is your first deer hunt.... It's hard to blame guns. Like an airplane, a car, or an angle grinder, it's just a tool. Sure, it can kill someone, if you misuse it. But we've had guns for hundreds of years, fully automatic weapons for more than 100 years, and most "modern" assault rifle designs are over 50 years old. But the modern string of school shootings started less than 20 years ago.

So, it's clear to the people who have grown up in cities, and haven't had a need to hold a gun for at least 3 generations, that we need massive amounts of gun control. If THEY haven't needed a gun, no one does. THOSE other people are just old and backwards.

It's just as clear to the people who have grown up in the countryside and have always owned and carried guns that gun control isn't the answer.

It's becoming another fundamental split in the country. Neither side is at all interested in caring about the other. On the coasts, you have people who have never visited anywhere in the US that wasn't a big city. Hillary's campaign summed it up perfectly. She didn't need the "flyover states." Places you'd never bring yourself down to visiting, let alone understanding the issues of the people living there. Statistically, there's no one living there. They're not important. And, in turn, you're starting to get people in the rural states who have never visited a big city. This country is so big, and growing so intolerant, that it has given up even trying to understand itself.

But, back to the problem at hand, the President needs to be seen doing SOMETHING. So, looking into video games again is brilliant. Everyone is yelling "YOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!" So, this is doing something. It's an action. Most everyone will roll their eyes and say "Don't do that..." but since it was an action, it deflects the criticism, and things slowly return to normal, without anything really changing. Sure, it's a game of kick the can, and it won't fix the fundamental problem. There will be more shootings to come. But, I think Donald Trump is ill-equipped to deal with that type of problem. He's not a social issue type of leader. Short of actually addressing mental health issues in a meaningful way, which he has no money, support, or time to do... Kicking the can is likely the best he can do with this mess.

.. looking into video games again is brilliant. Everyone is yelling "YOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!" So, this is doing something. It's an action. Most everyone will roll their eyes and say "Don't do that..." but since it was an action, it deflects the criticism, and things slowly return to normal, without anything really changing. Sure, it's a game of kick the can, and it won't fix the fundamental problem. There will be more shootings to come.

Hammernail.gif~c200

Nah, video games and unarmed teachers are to blame.

The video game thing is ridiculous as I've stated repeatedly. I don't want a repeat of the PMRC. OTOH allowing responsible teachers to be armed is common sense.

On the NRA, being on that side of the pond you probably don't see the 24/7 constant coverage demonizing the NRA. No blame is being assigned to the people who deserve the blame. 100% of the blame have been shifted to the NRA and NRA alone.

I would argue that labeling schools as "soft targets" is victim blaming.

Back