Average Candian is richer than the Average American

Competition doesn't really get much done. It's cooperation that does that. Set 500 guys competing to build a cathedral and all you'll get is small piles of bricks moving around - if you're lucky. To build anything of size the have to work together.
that's basically been my experience.

I don't see cooperation and competition as mutually exclusive. Teams of people cooperation to build something better than the competition. So, we see things like groups of people building an automobile assembly line, reducing costs per the car, and working the assembly line. This provided a more consistent product at a lower price point than the competition.

well its a contextually flawed argument but it's the only place to go with that line of thought really, pragmatically speaking both are good , in moderation... cooperation is great until its the klan burning a cross in ur yard in the spirit of community, and competition seems to destroy mens souls who are driven by it.. 6 of one, half dozen of the other... like most stuff in life i reckon....

Competition doesn't really get much done. It's cooperation that does that. Set 500 guys competing to build a cathedral and all you'll get is small piles of bricks moving around - if you're lucky. To build anything of size the have to work together.
Absolutely. But competition is also a driving force. Both are key parts to the success of our species. Survival of the fittest means the strong take all and the losers die out. But in times of extreme hardship it's cooperation that ensures the survival of those who are already the strongest and fittest.

well its a contextually flawed argument but it's the only place to go with that line of thought really, pragmatically speaking both are good , in moderation... cooperation is great until its the klan burning a cross in ur yard in the spirit of community, and competition seems to destroy mens souls who are driven by it.. 6 of one, half dozen of the other... like most stuff in life i reckon....
True, competition can ruin mens souls. But in the grand scheme of things, men aren't that important. The species is and competition keeps it strong (think of it as exercise). That's just the world we emerged from and you don't have to like it to accept it.

True, competition can ruin mens souls. But in the grand scheme of things, men aren't that important. The species is and competition keeps it strong (think of it as exercise). That's just the world we emerged from and you don't have to like it to accept it.

on the tree of life, even the strongest branches die....

Personal property is the effect of society; and it is as impossible for an individual to acquire personal property without the aid of society, as it is for him to make land originally.

Separate an individual from society, and give him an island or a continent to possess, and he cannot acquire personal property. He cannot be rich. So inseparably are the means connected with the end, in all cases, that where the former do not exist the latter cannot be obtained. All accumulation, therefore, of personal property, beyond what a man's own hands produce, is derived to him by living in society; and he owes on every principle of justice, of gratitude, and of civilization, a part of that accumulation back again to society from whence the whole came."
-Agrarian Justice Part Three by THOMAS PAINE

Isn't the problem here Obama's less colorful use of prose?

Personal property is the effect of society; and it is as impossible for an individual to acquire personal property without the aid of society, as it is for him to make land originally.

Separate an individual from society, and give him an island or a continent to possess, and he cannot acquire personal property. He cannot be rich. So inseparably are the means connected with the end, in all cases, that where the former do not exist the latter cannot be obtained. All accumulation, therefore, of personal property, beyond what a man's own hands produce, is derived to him by living in society; and he owes on every principle of justice, of gratitude, and of civilization, a part of that accumulation back again to society from whence the whole came."
-Agrarian Justice Part Three by THOMAS PAINE

Isn't the problem here Obama's less colorful use of prose?

paine said that? jeezum petes... what a dumbass!!! gawd you know he only ever got shit half right anyway... hes one o the funny flounders...

@Metalman

Fox Admists Obama was taken out of context Perhaps now right-wingers will see the truth about this as their God has spoken!

Out of context?!? LOL What a maroon!
Sally Kohn should send that piece as an application to work for George Soros or submit it to the Huffington Post

context
Obama and Warren cribbed their talking points almost verbatim from the Pregressive thoughts of George Lakoff, the idiot who wrote The Little Blue Book: The Essential Guide to Thinking and Talking Democratic, by George Lakoff and Elisabeth Wehling

Panic mode!
Sound the Progressive dog whistles!

Progressives gone from ignoring "you didn't build that" criticism, to shouting "out of context", now it's time to go all out strawman argument "it's Racist to criticize Obama!"

The Real Reason ‘You Didn’t Build That’ Works

This strikes at the core of Obama’s entire political identity: a soft-spoken, reasonable African-American with a Kansas accent
Wait!?!
When did Obama live in Kansas? Obama writes 2 autobiographies, includes a Bill Ayres composite girlfriend, but forgets about his years living in Kansas?

For being such a great orator, Obama sure is having a lot of trouble with his "message" Heh

@Metalman. That progressivism that society assists in the creation of wealth isn't new. You'll find similar statements from radicals Adam Smith, Thomas Jefferson, and John Adams.

@Metalman. That progressivism that society assists in the creation of wealth isn't new. You'll find similar statements from radicals Adam Smith, Thomas Jefferson, and John Adams.
progressivism :rolleyes:
Classical Liberalism

dont have to run with a field with a gun to get dinner tonight?... thank your uncle sam
born in a hospital? thank your uncle sam
drive on a paved road to get to work? or even a county road? thank your uncle sam
enjoying the fact no foreign army has invaded your homeland? thank your uncle sam
didn't die from a multitude of diseases or get polio as a child? thank your uncle sam
the list could go on, but i won't... the fact is paine stopped just sort of telling the whole truth, we kinda owe government for our very lives, not just our place in society....

dont have to run with a field with a gun to get dinner tonight?... thank your uncle sam
born in a hospital? thank your uncle sam
drive on a paved road to get to work? or even a county road? thank your uncle sam
enjoying the fact no foreign army has invaded your homeland? thank your uncle sam
didn't die from a multitude of diseases or get polio as a child? thank your uncle sam
the list could go on, but i won't... the fact is paine stopped just sort of telling the whole truth, we kinda owe government for our very lives, not just our place in society....
yes, indeed. I love it when I see the roads get repaved, or the fellas from the power company come around to fix the lines after a storm.
This last month I've had to take mom to various doctors and the hospital because of a really strong allergic reaction to mold. ALL the doctors / nurses / aides involved were educated here. My mother belongs to the teachers union which is why she can afford to get medical care - and deserves it after working for decades.

the system isn't perfect but I'm very glad to live in a civilized country because we can be comfortable, safe and happy.

Yes metalman.. good to know LIBERALS founded the nation...
Who cares who founded which nation? And classical liberalism has it's roots in my country, but it doesn't make my country.
The people here and now living in my country make my country, not some fossils buried deep under the soil.
There may be laws and policies they left that are of great value in the sense of knowledge of argumentation, which is abstract enough to be still applicable today, but they always need to be subject to discussion.
Otherwise for instance, the absence of traffic laws would cripple the country.

Back