Brexit!! Yeah, it's a thing now..

Her resignation could become effective as soon as 2021 but might be delayed as late as 2025 if negotiations don't go well.
Boris is the favourite to take over:
0CHEVs.gif

What a time to be alive.

EU election results map. The blue is the new Brexit party. The yellow is the SNP. I think it's safe to say Scotland has a slightly different outlook on this to the rest of the UK.
D7kQdiYXYAIxu4X.png:large

It should probably also be pointed out that the turnout was a rather pathetic 36.7% so any conclusions should be taken with that in mind.

79m36esk6o031.jpg

milkshakes brings all the votes to the yard,

And they’re like, it’s Nigel Farage.

Damn right, it’s Nigel Farage.

We can Brexit, with a vote barrage.

The editorial cartoonists must be ecstatic.
Well, the Daily Mash are at least having some fun with it:
It’s our turn to elect a pr*ck, Britain agrees
bortrump-667x375.jpg

BRITAIN has reluctantly agreed that it is our turn to elect a hilariously vain d*ckhead.
After years of laughing at the likes of Trump in the US and Berlusconi in Italy, Britain has admitted that Boris Johnson’s likely ascent to Downing Street only seems fair.

Nathan Muir of Bedford said: “Our last egomaniac prime minister wasn’t that bad except for Iraq. Now it’s time for the real deal, by which I mean a genuinely amoral sh*tbag like Boris.

Johnson said: “Once I’m PM we’ll have trade deals with my network of fellow vainglorious pr*cks worldwide, such as Trump, Kim Jong-un and that Philippines president who personally executes drug dealers.

“I may also go completely power-crazed and start erecting massive statues of myself everywhere. It’s not as if you weren’t warned.”

The Left Wing case for Brexit (snippet)

Full video for those with more time and/or curiosity.

The Left Wing case for Brexit (snippet)

Full video for those with more time and/or curiosity.
That was a good watch, thanks.
He makes a lot of good points and articulates some of the reasons I considered voting leave myself.

He makes a lot of good points and articulates some of the reasons I considered voting leave myself.

I do not think he actually makes "The Left Wing case for Brexit" though. He makes very broad generic statements without backing them up. The few times he does get specific, he tends to be wrong.

For instance, he does mention that the EU forces austerity on the UK and forbids Keynesian anti-recession investments. That is not exactly true. First of all, the UK is not part of the Eurozone so it is not subject to any fines if it breaks the 3% of GDP new budget deficit rule. Put differently, the UK's commitment to not exceed the EU's budget deficit rules is purely symbolic. If the UK wanted to spur economic activity by making major debt-financed investments in, say, infrastructure, it could do so without fearing serious retribution from the EU. The truth is that the UK government simply does not want to do this and that has nothing to do with the EU.

Also, during the "Great Recession", most (all?) Eurozone member states broke the deficit rules and the EU did not do much about it because they would have been mad to do so. So, it is not like there is no common sense at play and the EU is this draconian institution that will punish even the slightest deficit rule violation. Traditionally., the EU has been fairly lax about budget issues because even economic powerhouses like Germany have struggled to meet the goals on many occasions.

In addition, he states that the EU restricts state aid for private businesses. Technically, that is correct but, once again, this is not the full picture. Like most countries, the UK is a member of the World Trade Organization which has its own extremely comprehensive set of restrictions regarding state aid and subsidies. Furthermore, international trade agreements often include additional regulations on acceptable state aid and subsidies as well. So, it is not like leaving the EU will suddenly open up the UK to freely hand out billions of taxpayer money to whatever private businesses happen to be struggling at the moment.

Moreover, it is worth pointing out that, historically, other EU member states such as France and Germany have far exceeded the state-aid per capita rate of the United Kingdom. Clearly, being in the EU does not prevent you from investing a lot more in state aid than UK governments chose to spend.

In general, most of the vague arguments against the EU also apply to international trade in general. All the pro-Brexit leaders have stated from the very beginning that they want to leave the EU so the UK can then freely sign new far more comprehensive trade agreements with countries all over the world. So, Brexit is not at all aimed to deliver new limits regardling any ill effects of globalization, which would be worthy of extensive debate. Rather, the pro-Brexit leaders view the future UK as a country that does more international trade than ever before. Instead of adhering to rules and regulations that the UK helped to define in Brussels, it would adhere to the rules and regulations that were set up in Washington and in other capitals in order to gain access to large markets. That is hardly progress and will not deliver back the level of "control" that was promised to the people in the UK.

I do not think he actually makes "The Left Wing case for Brexit" though.

No, nor do I, but I agreed with much of what he said and share some of his frustrations, even if I disagree with his proposed solution to those frustrations.

If you'd have voted for leaving I'd sing Whitney Houstons "can't live if living is without you" so loud you can hear it across the channel. And I can assure you that you don't want to hear that.

If you'd have voted for leaving I'd sing Whitney Houstons "can't live if living is without you" so loud you can hear it across the channel. And I can assure you that you don't want to hear that.
Oh, I don't know, I think I might enjoy hearing you belt that song out. :lol:

Only their first day but the Brexit Party are off to a flyer

She also compared herself to "the peasantry" which might not be quite as offensive but is equally ridiculous. It would difficult to find anyone in UK politics who is more "establishment" than Widdecombe.

Back