"cult of personality"

cecilia said:
Robert said:
This new president-elect really has you scared. I'm as yet unsure of exactly what it is about him that scares you.
it's because Obama isn't a dumbass like bush

intelligent people always scare morons

news-graphics-2007-_441537a.jpg

Boo!

metalman said:
cecilia said:
Robert said:
This new president-elect really has you scared. I'm as yet unsure of exactly what it is about him that scares you.

news-graphics-2007-_441537a.jpg

Boo!
sorry you are so frightened

Stephen Hawking isn't going to throw you into a black hole........you stepped into one all on your own

snopes comments about Obama's views on religion:

Barack Hussein Obama (Senator Obama's father) was born on the shores of Lake Victoria in Alego, Kenya. He met and married an American woman, Ann Dunham of Wichita, Kansas, while they were both attending the University of Hawaii. Their son, also named Barack Hussein Obama was born on 4 August 1961 at the Queen's Medical Center in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Although the elder Obama was raised as a Muslim, no evidence supports the claim that he was ever a "radical Muslim," and Senator Obama's family histories note that his father was an atheist or agnostic (i.e., no longer a practicing Muslim) by the time he married the younger Obama's mother. Of his mother's religious views, Senator Obama wrote:

For my mother, organized religion too often dressed up closed-mindedness in the garb of piety, cruelty and oppression in the cloak of righteousness.

This isn't to say that she provided me with no religious instruction. In her mind, a working knowledge of the world's great religions was a necessary part of any well-rounded education. In our household the Bible, the Koran, and the Bhagavad Gita sat on the shelf alongside books of Greek and Norse and African mythology. On Easter or Christmas Day my mother might drag me to church, just as she dragged me to the Buddhist temple, the chinese New Year celebration, the Shinto shrine, and ancient Hawaiian burial sites. But I was made to understand that such religious samplings required no sustained commitment on my part. Religion was an expression of human culture, she would explain, not its wellspring, just one of the many ways — and not necessarily the best way — that man attempted to control the unknowable and understand the deeper truths about our lives.

In sum, my mother viewed religion through the eyes of the anthropologist she would become; it was a phenomenon to be treated with a suitable respect, but with a suitable detachment as well.

That's similar to the way i was brought up - except that my mother is very much catholic...and feels very connected to the many generations of catholics in the family (going back at least to the middle ages as far as I know). However, a good education was uppermost in my mother's mind as far as her children were concerned and that is the reason we went to catholic school.

however, even with all of that catholic stuff flying around me, I have never been religious. Which doesn't mean i didn't spend many years thinking about it. i just came to my own conclusions.

it seems to me that obama did the same.

In his 2006 book, The Audacity of Hope, Obama elaborated on his early schooling, explaining that he attended both Catholic and Muslim schools in Indonesia - not out of any particular religious affiliation, but because his mother wanted him to obtain the best education possible under the circumstances:

During the five years that we would live with my stepfather in Indonesia, I was sent first to a neighborhood Catholic school and then to a predominantly Muslim school; in both cases, my mother was less concerned with me learning the catechism or puzzling out the meaning of the muezzin's call to evening prayer than she was with whether I was properly learning my multiplication tables.

it seems to me many americans don't understand the Founding fathers point that while any Individual has the right to whatever religion (or lack thereof) they wish, that Policy Makers are NOT allowed to invest THEIR religion into law.

The fact that Obama has had the opportunity to experience various cultures, various religions and various points of views has imbued him with a World View that should be more than helpful in his new job.

Obama =>> "new Che Guevera"

Barack Obama "Icon"

Obama's On-the-Wall Endorsement

Fairey's artwork style of the Obama posters (and lots of his commercial and fine art work) are reworkings of the techniques of revolutionary propagandists -- the bright colors, bold lettering, geometric simplicity, heroic poses -- the "art with a purpose" created by constructivists in the early Soviet Union,...

... "There's an unequivocal sense of idol worship about the image," wrote op-ed columnist Meghan Daum in the Los Angeles Times, "a half-artsy, half-creepy genuflection that suggests the subject is (a) a Third World dictator whose rule is enmeshed in a seductive cult of personality; ...

metalman said:
Obama =>> "new Che Guevera"
We should always be aware of the worship of false idols. There's no more clear message then our own recent history and the faith in Bush post 9/11. I think history will best described this as a misleader.

"OBAMAISM -- It's a Kind of Religion,"

Obama hear our prayers.

Our Obama, who art in Washington,
Thy utopia to come,
Thy Legislation be done,
In Washington, as it is in Chicago,
Give us this day, our daily gas ration,
As we repent for our carbon addiction.
As we forgive those who don't properly inflate their tires.
Deliver us from all the evil that is George Bush.
For thine is the money, the power, and the Democratic party,
For eight or ten years, in the 57 states he visited,
Amen

Metalman thanks for the vapid opinion pieces.... Some questions.

Do you think Obama will, like GWB, have his own Prayer Team and hold mandatory weekly prayers?

Also GWB turned around the first ever veto, that was by Adams who vetoed having the government fund churches, and funded religion. How do you think funding of religion will play out in an Obama administration?

International Aid under Bush was reduced to countries where the funding might end up paying for an abortion. Do you think Obama will undo this heavy handed change your faith and the USA will fund you more stance?

faethor said:
Do you think Obama will, like GWB, have his own Prayer Team and hold mandatory weekly prayers?

Weekly? Nah - he's muslim, remember? Those meetings will be far more frequent.

metalman said:
faethor said:

Prayer Team Obama has mandatory daily prayer sessions

Obama hear our prayers.

To Obama we donate.
Meh. Certainly every President has someone somewhere praying for them constantly. This is different then a weekly mandatory prayer session with the President. Heck I remember my church in the 80s and Wednesday learning sessions someone always prayed for God's guideance for Reagan.

Metalman, can you stop being such a twit? There's prayer groups for everything, and you know that. Including John McCain, Sarah Palin and even who ever's the current president.

This is typical conservative nonsense. First he's not religious enough, now he's a religious nazi. :roll:

cecilia said:
Robert said:

I am curious about your political views. With the hatred you demonstrate against some political figures, who would you not consider to be considered a “dumbass” and would be praised worthy of your praises? I get it that Obama is worthy. Who else?

Wahey! Didn't take long for the old 'hatred' card to be played again.

Pathetic.

@cecilia:

I'd remember Eyso's sage words on this one. ;-)

Robert said:

Pathetic.

@cecilia:

See? You did it again. I am not offended if you think I am "Pathetic” or my conversation is "Pathetic". It only reinforces my premise

Words mean things. What do you call you outbursts and name calling, "love"? Does that offend you that I couched your remarks as hatred? If you do not want to address my question, I’m okay with that. It might be better that way for you. Peace and thank you for your time (what little you could spare). :)

Robert said:

Pathetic.

@cecilia:

:roflmao: :roflmao: now you're just killing me

btw, in case anyone wants my list of "politicians" I respect:

George Washington
Thom Jefferson
Barry Goldwater
Ron Paul
William F. Buckley
and, yes, Obama

it has everything to do with being smart, not that i agree with everything they say.

James T Kirk said:
Words mean things. What do you call you outbursts and name calling, "love"? Does that offend you that I couched your remarks as hatred?

Every time you resort you resort to using the words 'hate' or 'hatred' to describe the views of someone you disagree with I reserve the right to call it as I see it.

And I see it as pathetic.

:pint:

Robert said:
James T Kirk said:
Words mean things. What do you call you outbursts and name calling, "love"? Does that offend you that I couched your remarks as hatred?

Every time you resort you resort to using the words 'hate' or 'hatred' to describe the views of someone you disagree with I reserve the right to call it as I see it.

And I see it as pathetic.

Okay, I can see that you have no clue as to what the topic is or to what you are responding. Peace to you. I will move on because the low tolerance level for others with opposing views and the lack of intellectual and meaningful dialog has rendered this forum useless for discussing ideas. It is a playground for individuals to fester their hatred with closed minds and an unwillingness to participate in debate or discussion, resulting in a group of bitter, frustrated name calling individuals. For people to classify themselves as “open minded” and then to be closed minded and unwilling to discuss openly with out demeaning others is clearly contrary being open minded. So, I will ignore this mindless hate-fest and look for some other forum where dialog and the exchange of ideas is welcomed. I’m done. Peace. :D

James T Kirk said:
Okay, I can see that you have no clue as to what the topic is

I believe the original topic was, "cult of personality," however my specific comment was aimed at your hackneyed, predictable, intellectually bereft and pathetic use of the word 'hate' to attempt to compensate for your lack of debating skills and general ignorance.
I would suggest that it is you who has no 'clue', as you put it, what the topic is.

or to what you are responding.

You almost got me there. In a way you're right: I have no 'clue' what you are. Quite beyond classification.
On the other hand you're wrong; you're quite transparent in a way.

I will move on because the low tolerance level for others with opposing views and the lack of intellectual and meaningful dialog

What know you of intellectual anything?
Meaningful dialogue?
Spewing the words 'hate' and 'hatred' everytime someone disagrees with you is neither intellectual nor meaningful. Although I'll concede that it is rather revealing.

has rendered this forum useless for discussing ideas.

I see no evidence of your willingness to discuss any ideas.
I may be mistaken and, if so, please feel free to point these out.

It is a playground for individuals to fester their hatred

Ker-ching! There it is!

with closed minds and an unwillingness to participate in debate or discussion, resulting in a group of bitter, frustrated name calling individuals.

You forgot 'hate-filled'. ;-)

For people to classify themselves as “open minded” and then to be closed minded

I classify myself as no such thing. The classification you see is related to the number of posts I have made and I have no control over it.
If you see me as closed minded, I am quite happy to accept that label because that is exaclty how I see you.

and unwilling to discuss openly with out demeaning others

Constantly accusing others of hatred is demeaning, Mr. Kettle.

So, I will ignore this mindless hate-fest

Hahaha... you know, I'm almost coming around to liking your way with the 'hate' word.

On the other hand.....

and look for some other forum where dialog and the exchange of ideas is welcomed. I’m done.

Don't let the door skelp yer arse on the way oot.....

:roll:

Back