iron lady dies... rust in peace war criminal

Heh.

From a British working class perspective her okaying the sinking of the Belgrano was the least of her crimes.

One of the many, many stories on the issue.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

I got the news as a text message from a family member a little while ago, it said "break out your dancing shoes, the iron witch is dead".

All in all, I'm having trouble finding fu©ks to give.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk HD

This news comes 30 years too late -

(died peacefully? bah. Typical!)

I don't think suffering multiple strokes and dementia could be called peaceful, not by any stretch of the imagination.

You could argue that the person that inspired so much hatred had in effect died long ago...

I don't think suffering multiple strokes and dementia could be called peaceful, not by any stretch of the imagination.

You could argue that the person that inspired so much hatred had in effect died long ago...

So much hatred that she was elected 4 times.

So much hatred that she was elected 4 times.

At the time there simply wasn't a credible opposition to her, labour were a spent force and their ties to the union movement was toxic.

Her solution however was ultimately just as bad.

Consider how despite having almost identical issues at the time, France managed to blunt the worst of their unions excesses without wiping out the economic viability of half the country.

At the time there simply wasn't a credible opposition to her,

Growing up in Scotland, I have a somewhat different perspective.

She almost single-handedly made the Conservative party unelectable in Scotland.
She almost single-handedly made Scottish devolution a realistic prospect.
She almost single-handedly made independence favouring parties credible.

For all of these things I thank her, from the bottom of my heart.

There are already a large amount of people I know indulging in "goodbye to bad rubbish" style grave-dancing.
Not for me.

Having said all of that, I despised Thatcher almost as much as Blair, so I won't be shedding any tears over her passing.

I can't say I have (had?) a great a opinion of Thatcher, but some feminists put her in a slightly different light than what I'd expect to read in this thread.

Muscular Feminism

I can't say I have (had?) a great a opinion of Thatcher, but some feminists put her in a slightly different light than what I'd expect to read in this thread.

Muscular Feminism
indeed
I can admire her unrelenting ambition and strength of Will without agreeing with her policies

I suppose it could be considered admirable, just how completely she trascended feminism.
Her sex, as far as I can recall, was as irrelevant as any woman in a position of any power whatsoever, that I am aware of.
Perhaps that should be applauded. I really don't know.

The bottom line is that Thatcher was a ruthless, horrible bastard to the point that most people forgot all about the fact that she was the first woman PM.
The fact that she was female was completely inconsequential when compared to the fact that she was a heartless, community destroying scumbag.

The bottom line is that Thatcher was a ruthless, horrible bastard to the point that most people forgot all about the fact that she was the first woman PM.
The fact that she was female was completely inconsequential when compared to the fact that she was a heartless, community destroying scumbag.

Wow.. I'm not going to argue the politics here since I was mostly a kid at the time she was in office and couldn't give a crap back then what happened on that side of the pond, but wow. Some of the same people indifferent about Bin Laden dying are downright cheerful about Maggie's death.

I can't imagine anyone else in the UK inspiring these sort of tasteless reactions:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/09/police-arrests-thatcher-death-parties
"I would rather that Thatcherism was dead because she is mostly to blame for what is going on today. She is responsible, but not solely, for the massive gap between the rich and the poor."
that basically sums up MY feelings about ANY dead person.
bin Laden included.

What matters is what you leave behind after your body dies

I suppose it could be considered admirable, just how completely she trascended feminism.
Her sex, as far as I can recall, was as irrelevant as any woman in a position of any power whatsoever, that I am aware of.
Perhaps that should be applauded. I really don't know.

and isn't it ANNOYING that people STILL mention that Marie Curie was a WOMAN , rather than just say she was a Nobel Prize winner, physicist and chemist who pioneered research on radioactivity.

To name one of many examples of people who's life is always prefaced by their XX chromosomes.

what does it say about society that the only time people don't notice it's a women is when she's scary?

and isn't it ANNOYING that people STILL mention that Marie Curie was a WOMAN , rather than just say she was a Nobel Prize winner, physicist and chemist who pioneered research on radioactivity.

My firsthand experience in the workplaces I've been a part of suggests the vast majority of people care about two things when it comes to coworkers: If they're decent people and if they're capable of the work given to them. Everything else is simply a point of conversation.

That said, having strong, easily definable role models is useful, regardless of which gender, ethnicity or orientation you are.

Outside of the position of role model however I've found that what people are tends only to matter to bigots, both in the classical sense and increasingly the "social justice/third wave feminist/tumblr" crowd.

what does it say about society that the only time people don't notice it's a women is when she's scary?

That she isn't viewed as fitting female archetypes, or that her actions are considered so damning as to make her gender seem irrelevant given the context.

Back