Julian Assange - Swedish rape inquiry dropped

Robert

Reaction score
Theresa May says action against Assange is a matter for the police
1864.jpg

Theresa May Photograph: Stefan Rousseau/PA
Theresa May appears to be trying to keep her distance from Assange’s fate.

Asked if Britain would now support a request to extradite Assange to the United States, the prime minister said: “We look at extradition requests on a case-by-case basis.”

Speaking at a Conservative campaign event in Edinburgh, May added: “In relation to Julian Assange, any decision that is taken about UK action in relation to him were he to leave the Ecuadorian Embassy would be an operational matter for the police.”

Ecuador puts WikiLeaks boss in digital time-out over comments
julian_assage_in_ecuador_shirt.jpg

Supporters of WikiLeaks are sounding alarms as founder Julian Assange has had his internet access cut to his Ecuadorian embassy broom cupboard.

The embassy – based in Knightsbridge, London – said it revoked Assange's broadband connection after he violated a promise not to say, or tweet, anything that would harm the South American nation's relations with the UK.

The embassy – based in Knightsbridge, London – said it revoked Assange's broadband connection after he violated a promise not to say, or tweet, anything that would harm the South American nation's relations with the UK.
So ... tweeting about Germany's arrest of a Catalonian separatist on behalf Spain is damaging to Ecuador's relations with the UK. I see.

So ... tweeting about Germany's arrest of a Catalonian separatist on behalf Spain is damaging to Ecuador's relations with the UK. I see.
Murky isn't it?
That said, I'm surprised they've housed him for as long as they have. It was always at Ecuador's pleasure and the government there can use any excuse it wants - or none - to wash its hands of him as soon as it no longer finds him useful.

Murky isn't it?
That said, I'm surprised they've housed him for as long as they have. It was always at Ecuador's pleasure and the government there can use any excuse it wants - or none - to wash its hands of him as soon as it no longer finds him useful.

This is true. Generally speaking I am an Assange supporter, but clearly he's there at the whim of Ecuador's government.

Well, except it's more like hes spent a few years in prison already.
Well, except it's more like he's been allowed by Ecuador to remain in his preferred prison for a few years already.

The kind of development that would fit equally well in the Bizarro News thread:
London flatmate (Julian Assange) sues landlord (government of Ecuador) in human rights spat
WikiLeaks overlord challenges housemate rules in court
Well, the writing style is certainly Bizarro, though the issues remain very serious. I suppose Assange can be grateful that, so far, he hasn't "died in questioning" but who knows if it might not come to that still. Strange things are afoot in embassies these days and international law doesn't seem to be up to the task of keeping people safe.

Lawyers for the Australian activist have filed an urgent application to the Washington-based Inter-American Commission of Human Rights (IACHR) aimed at forcing the hand of US prosecutors, requiring them to “unseal” any secret charges against him.

The legal move is an attempt to prevent Assange’s extradition to the US at a time that a new Ecuadorian government has been making his stay in the central London apartment increasingly inhospitable.

Time may be nearly up for Assange.
President Moreno, who took power in 2017, now believe he has the excuse (and probably sweet deal) to evict Assange from the embassy - and if it's not either of those two things then at least it's a distraction from the charges of corruption he is facing.

Not good, but I can't see someone living in an embassy forever. I see a lot of crossover support for Assange. I don't see the same for Bradly Manning. Yes, I call him Bradly because when he got in trouble he was Bradly, a he. The gender swap seems to be a play for pity. I am not very sympathetic for Bradly. He directly put troops in harms way. I don't see him as a whistle blower. I see him as an opportunist.

I don't see the same for Bradly Manning. Yes, I call him Bradly because when he got in trouble he was Bradly, a he. The gender swap seems to be a play for pity. I am not very sympathetic for Bradly. He directly put troops in harms way. I don't see him as a whistle blower. I see him as an opportunist.
I don't see Manning that way. I follow her on twitter (and don't mind using that pronoun because she seems genuine in that claim to me). However, a lot of her "OMG transphobia" tweets I find annoying - because I find it all histrionic small potatoes compared to what is going on these days - but when she was called to testify before the grand jury on wikileaks, despite the fact that she has already done extended solitary confinement related to her previous leak, she elected to refuse to cooperate and face possible jail for contempt. I think that's pretty principled.

Back