Latest Xbox 3 rumors

I'd love some Mountain Lion in one of my next consoles

Hmm... Speaking of launch titles... Grand Theft Auto V got pushed from Spring 2013 to September 17, 2013. Seems like an oddly specific resolution date for a game development issue... I wonder if we'll later learn that it coincides with the release of a suspected new product from Microsoft or Sony.

Ya, I saw that earlier. I'll start saving my pennies!

And again, speaking of launch titles... There's a set of potential OUYA launch title choices to browse through from a recent game jam. http://killscreendaily.com/create/entries.php

I hope the OUYA does gain some traction. It's a neat concept, and a good price point. I really wish I could say I found something off this game list I'd play... But... I can't say I did. :/

What?!? How can you not want Pee for Peace?

Early rumors are a $400+ price for the PS4. LINK Though remember what happened with the PS3 is it sold for a price less than announced for some markets.

IMO, high prices for consoles isn't going to work well. Sony should have learned this with the PS3. Today the PS3/360 are in the $200-$300 range. For this market I think Microsoft and Sony should hit under $400 for their consoles. Unless they hope to collect the high fee for the group of fanatics that buy consoles first. (like me)

In related news. Sony reported the 8th consecutive quarter loss of $115 Million for Oct-Dec. Remember folks this is the busiest time of the year. OUCH! TV, Blu-Ray, PS3 - all down in sales. It's their movie division making the best options. (Remember what I said about commodity hardware and today's market is software? Movies are software.)

What?!? How can you not want Pee for Peace?

Well, I will admit that my friend and I played Potty Pigeon a few times back in the mid 80's. But that was a lot of years ago... It was funny when we were 10.

IMO, high prices for consoles isn't going to work well. Sony should have learned this with the PS3. Today the PS3/360 are in the $200-$300 range. For this market I think Microsoft and Sony should hit under $400 for their consoles. Unless they hope to collect the high fee for the group of fanatics that buy consoles first. (like me)

Well, I think a $400 base launch price, and a $500 high-end bundle price would be a very reasonable point for either console. I'm sure they'll be happy to collect a few more bucks for the people who want the consoles in 2013. Then probably have a $50 drop when the shelves start refilling after the holidays. (say early to mid 2014.) Hopefully they don't try to start the base model in the $500-600 range, though. By that point, the price really could hurt the launch, even despite the fanatics.

In related news. Sony reported the 8th consecutive quarter loss of $115 Million for Oct-Dec. Remember folks this is the busiest time of the year. OUCH! TV, Blu-Ray, PS3 - all down in sales. It's their movie division making the best options. (Remember what I said about commodity hardware and today's market is software? Movies are software.)

Well, the flip side of that argument is that Sony has always sacrificed its hardware divisions to suit the whims of the media divisions. And the loss of revenue from hardware is just Sony reaping what its sown. Samsung doesn't seem to have any problem moving hardware these days. They only turned 8.3 Billion Dollars last quarter. I dare say that's a bit more than Sony's media divisions turned in.

Part of the problem for Sony is that they sell their hardware at a higher cost and yet you're not necessarily getting a better product. Sorta like Apple, except Sony lacks the reality distortion field that makes people gladly shell out for overpriced stuff.

Sony is both helped and burdened by it's movies and music catalogs. The PS3 is a great media player, but Sony also worries about piracy of it's software and thus adds stupid things like Cinavia. Samsung doesn't do that because they just don't give a shit if you pirate their competitors movies or music. And pirates make up a huge part of the hardware market.

Sony is also terrible at keeping things up to date. Their cell phones don't receive updates as quickly as Samsung's (although Sony is probably better than HTC and LG). On the PS3 they added things like YouTube and Netflix and their own movie service, but not Skype or Picasa or Photobucket, where as Samsung's $100 Bluray player does all that and much more. It used to be that the PS3 was the best media player but it isn't any more. Which is stupid because all it requires is a software patch for a few new services. But all we get from Sony are security patches designed to thwart hackers.

If Apple releases a game console (as some suggest they will) or if Apple releases a TV (as some suggest they will) Sony will likely be the hardest hit. I expect Samsung to do well either way and will likely enjoy the competition. I don't think Sony can compete. Which is too bad.

Who knows, maybe Samsung will decide to release the next big thing (Android powered) game console. You never know.

Part of the problem for Sony is that they sell their hardware at a higher cost and yet you're not necessarily getting a better product. Sorta like Apple, except Sony lacks the reality distortion field that makes people gladly shell out for overpriced stuff.

Well, with Apple, you definitely pay a premium price, but you do get a product of reasonable quality. With Sony, you're paying a premium cost, and getting a much WORSE product than the competition. The only piece of Sony hardware I'd even consider purchasing at any price would be a PS4. And I think most everyone else who is remotely interested in electronics of any kind feels the same way. The Sony name means "proprietary garbage" nowadays.

Sony also worries about piracy of it's software and thus adds stupid things like Cinavia. Samsung doesn't do that because they just don't give a shit if you pirate their competitors movies or music. And pirates make up a huge part of the hardware market.

Exactly. Sony surrendered the multi-billion dollar hardware industry for the multi-million dollar movie industry.

Who knows, maybe Samsung will decide to release the next big thing (Android powered) game console. You never know.

Very astute. I don't think Samsung thinks there's a market in it, yet. But, if OUYA takes off, you better believe there will be a Samsung version on the market within a few months. They have too much Android experience to pass up taking a swing at it.

Someone might also try an Android tablet with a good integrated controller. Aim it straight at the 3DS and Vita, and see what happens. (shrug) A company like Samsung could turn one around without too much investment or risk.

You mean something like this:

Wikipad Announces 7" Gaming Tablet For $249, Company Discusses Cancelled 10" Version

nexusae0_wikipad2_thumb.png

Ok, perhaps the guy jumping out of the device is an exaggeration, but you get the idea. :)

Btw, I still believe Sony makes great TVs. Also, their next line of Android phones actually looks pretty good (aside from being waterproof to 60m, the hardware inside is current and the overall design looks nice). Overall I think Sony is a top brand, but only by a small margin. Their extra cost is what makes me buy from their competitors.

Sony also makes great cameras. More specifically, they make great sensors. However, they are rather expensive. Which is why I ended up buying a Samsung mirrorless camera instead. Cheaper camera, cheaper lenses, almost as good sensor, superior lenses. Not a bad deal.

The funny thing is that the OUYA is less then half the price! Unless you factor in the cost of a TV, but most people already have one of those.

Btw, I still believe Sony makes great TVs.
Meh. They seem overpriced for worse picture quality than many of their competitors. Even though some people have complaints about Samsung life, personally, I've stuck with them, and found them to be excellent.

Also, their next line of Android phones actually looks pretty good
Ok, thanks... I'll have to check that out. I can't really speak of their phones. A more rugged and water resistant Android device could be useful to my employer...

Sony also makes great cameras. More specifically, they make great sensors.

They do make good sensors. But, overall, I'd probably take a Canon, Nikon, or maybe even an Olympus before an actual Sony camera. (I'm not as familiar with Samsung's cameras, but based on their other hardware, if I were in the market, I'd check them, as well.)

The funny thing is that the OUYA is less then half the price! Unless you factor in the cost of a TV, but most people already have one of those.
I think if Microsoft or Sony thought about it they could easily kill the OUYA market. Cut the price of the Xbox 360 or PS3 to $99 once the next gen launch. Not only do you get a great game machine, lots of low cost games, lots of used games for low cost, and a DVD or Blu-Ray player. They'd probably need a year or two at most of those on the market to take out the OUYA.

Ahh the Apple plan of a new iPxx every year. Seems Microsoft is going to be embracing this model as well. Windows Blue that's supposed to upgrade Win8 is supposedly coming this fall.

Well, that's good because MS takes about 4 or 5 tries before they get something that's usable. I noticed their second attempt at a tablet hasn't been well reviewed either. Maybe their 3rd try will do better? And I think all that Windows8 really needs is a Start button. Maybe they'll add it back in Windows 10.

Windows 8 has a 'start button' it's the main screen. It's just people aren't used to thinking about it in that manner and are expecting a start on the 'old' windows 7 looking screen.

Windows 8 does some things well and needs improvements in other areas. It's fairly different and not quite intutive. Though I find using Windows RT and 8 for a while then going back to the iPad that the iPad doesn't quite make sense either. For example, I keep pulling down to close the app, which doesn't work. With the Surface RT it is nice to have a cut down Office version and not trying to make some other app (typically I use Docs To Go) do it's duty. Printing is a headache on the iPad, I don't even bother any more. Whereas, SurfaceRT there's 1 printer I found didn't work out of the box, others seem plug right into USB and work. Oh and there's the USB and HDMI dongles that cost extra nad I have to carry around with me. Pain! Apple should at least use a common standard.

Back