New car...

Which car would you prefer?

• Volkswagen Golf GTI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mini Cooper S

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Golf or Mini

Tricky one. I'd check the running costs and insurance first. Both cars are icons and I confess that I've owned and loved a Mk2 Golf 16v in the past.

If it's a choice between the new Golf (mk5) and the Mini, then go for the Golf. It's supposed to be the best hot Golf since the Mk2 16v and with 200 ps you won't want for horsepower.

If it's a choice between the mk4 Golf and the Mini, then I'd go for the Mini. The mk4 Golf GTI is underpowered (either 115/150bhp in a car that weighs 1.5x as much as the original), has soggy suspension and dull steering. The TDi versions though are an absolute hoot.

Best to think of Golf GTI incarnations like Elvis Presley. The later the car, the more overweight and stodgy it's likely to be (mk 5 excepted).

But, I get so much more out of Mountain Biking than I do driving, I'd take a Specialized Enduro over a Mini or a Golf any day.

Golf or Mini

Tricky one. I'd check the running costs and insurance first. Both cars are icons and I confess that I've owned and loved a Mk2 Golf 16v in the past.

If it's a choice between the new Golf (mk5) and the Mini, then go for the Golf. It's supposed to be the best hot Golf since the Mk2 16v and with 200 ps you won't want for horsepower.

If it's a choice between the mk4 Golf and the Mini, then I'd go for the Mini. The mk4 Golf GTI is underpowered (either 115/150bhp in a car that weighs 1.5x as much as the original), has soggy suspension and dull steering. The TDi versions though are an absolute hoot.

Best to think of Golf GTI incarnations like Elvis Presley. The later the car, the more overweight and stodgy it's likely to be (mk 5 excepted).

But, I get so much more out of Mountain Biking than I do driving, I'd take a Specialized Enduro over a Mini or a Golf any day.

Golf or Mini

Golf or Mini

Re: Golf or Mini

PMC said:

Both had a similar price tag and cost around the same to insure, the Golf was a tad more economical. However, it looks like I'll be getting neither, I had made a decision to get the Golf, but I have to wait until December to get it :shock: The mini is the same, both have looooooong waits. So this afternoon, I'm heading to my local Subaru dealer to check out the Forester XT, same fuel consumption as the Mini but with heaps more power :D

PMC said:

Both had a similar price tag and cost around the same to insure, the Golf was a tad more economical. However, it looks like I'll be getting neither, I had made a decision to get the Golf, but I have to wait until December to get it :shock: The mini is the same, both have looooooong waits. So this afternoon, I'm heading to my local Subaru dealer to check out the Forester XT, same fuel consumption as the Mini but with heaps more power :D

PMC said:

PMC said:

PMC said:

PMC said:

Why go new?

Used often will yield a better deal for the car owner... If you can pay it in full and thus can pay reduced insurance as you don't have to have full coverage and the total loss value is less.

If one needed a new engine the cost for replacement is frequently less then the costs per month of a new car payment for 1 year.

My vote Golf Mk2 and pay it in full.

Why go new?

Used often will yield a better deal for the car owner... If you can pay it in full and thus can pay reduced insurance as you don't have to have full coverage and the total loss value is less.

If one needed a new engine the cost for replacement is frequently less then the costs per month of a new car payment for 1 year.

Why go new?

Why go new?

Why go new?

Why go new?

Yep,

Buy a Golf Mk 2 (carefully), preferably a 16 valve if you can afford the 97/8 octane fuel it requires - but at 40mpg it's not exactly known for having a drink problem.

You'll have a car that will do 0-60 in just under 8 seconds, will top 130mph and will out handle both the new Golf and the Mini.

Spend the rest on a Valentines gift for the missus...

Yep,

Buy a Golf Mk 2 (carefully), preferably a 16 valve if you can afford the 97/8 octane fuel it requires - but at 40mpg it's not exactly known for having a drink problem.

You'll have a car that will do 0-60 in just under 8 seconds, will top 130mph and will out handle both the new Golf and the Mini.

Yep,

Yep,

Back