The Dead Celeb thread, 2018 edition

I guess that only leaves Dennis DeConcini and Donald Riegle as the last remnants of the Keating Five.

I didn't even remember that. I was only 17 at the time, so I must not have been following politics close enough.

Damn...

Burt Reynolds, Star of ‘Deliverance,’ ‘Smokey and the Bandit,’ Dies at 82

burt-reynolds-dead-3.jpg

A friend of mine wrote about his friendship with Gary (It's public):

Devastated. Bereft.

Gary Kurtz has died.

For over 40 years, Gary Kurtz has been my friend and colleague. We have continued working on projects all this time. There's a film project Gary was slated to produce that I brought him into and he's been involved with my Star Wars book. But we were friends beyond work.

Gary was an amazing man. Very private. He never wanted to be the center of attention. Even when I was working for his production company, he didn't want publicity about him, just the film projects. That's why he's not as famous as he should be, for all he's accomplished, and most people didn't know he's been ill for some time.

Gary, of course, produced "Star Wars" and "The Empire Strikes Back". He also produced "American Graffiti" and "The Dark Crystal", among other films and TV projects.

He was the most knowledgeable producer I ever worked with. Always on top of whatever his films needed, able to answer any questions or solve any problems that came up.

He and George Lucas met at USC Film School but started working together, on "American Graffiti" when Francis Coppola got the two of them together.

Gary served in Vietnam as a filmmaker, taking a camera into combat. He was required to carry a gun but, as a Quaker, went on combat missions with no bullets in that gun. That's a lot braver (and faithful) than I think most people would be.

We've been friends throughout the years, as well as colleagues. Gary's been living in England since the late '70s so we didn't get to spend a lot of time together but we did whenever we could.

I can't believe he's gone. It really hasn't sunk in. He was 78 years old -- older than George by a few years, well older than me -- but he was always tall and robust and, until recently healthy. He seemed like someone who would always be there. It doesn't seem possible.

LÄÄZ ROCKIT And DUBLIN DEATH PATROL Bassist WILLY LANGE Dies At 57

willylangesolo_638.jpg

Willy "Lange" Langenhuizen, bass player of San Francisco Bay Area thrash metal band LÄÄZ ROCKIT, passed away on October 23 from injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident. He was 57 years old.

----------

NYHC Guitarist Todd Youth (Warzone, Murphy’s Law, Danzig) Dead At 47

todd-youth-1540747075-640x640.jpg

Todd Youth, the New York hardcore legend who played guitar in bands like Agnostic Front, Warzone, Murphy’s Law, and Danzig, has reportedly passed away at the age of 47. Ras Israel Joseph I, Youth’s bandmate from his most recent band, Fireburn, wrote in a Facebook post, “There are no words to express how sad I am at the passing of my brother Todd Youth. The music he made will forever be remembered.” NYHC show promoters BlacknBlue Productions posted, “A very sad day for NYHC FAMILY…Todd Youth. We love you.”

Official Motörhead
14 mins ·
We are sad to report of the passing of musician and our friend, Todd Youth. He kept the Hammered tour alive in 2003 when Phil Campbell had to miss some shows due to the passing of his mother. Condolences to his family from ours.

Back