The Dead Celeb thread, 2020 edition

Mentioned in the sports thread, but should have mentioned here.

Jake Scott was the Super Bowl MVP for the 1972 Dolphins. That was the year of the ONLY perfect season in NFL history. We just lost the Super Bowl MVP on the best NFL team of all time

Report: Former Georgia, NFL great Jake Scott dead at 75

Scott went on to be drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the seventh round of the 1970 NFL Draft. He would go onto become a two-time Super Bowl champion -- both coming with the Dolphins -- and a 5-time Pro Bowl selection in a pro career that lasted until 1978. The 1972 season -- the first of Miami's two Super Bowl championship years with Scott on the roster -- saw the team post an undefeated record, and Scott would ultimately be named Super Bowl MVP that year.

One of the greatest footballers of all time:

I was lucky enough to see him in the flesh when I was a kid and he was still a teenager.
His Argentina side came to Glasgow and beat Scotland 1-0.
Even at that age, he was a stand out.

• Sad
Reactions: adz
We missed Malcom Dixon dying back in April. He was an Ewok in Return Of The Jedi, but probably better known in Time Bandits.

Malcolm Dixon, diminutive actor who appeared in ‘Return of the Jedi’ and ‘Time Bandits,’ dead at 66

Malcolm Dixon, the short-statured actor who appeared in some of Hollywood’s most famous films, is dead at 66.
His death was reported Thursday by Fantha Tracks. No cause of death was revealed.

The 4-foot-1 performer is best known for his roles as an Ewok warrior in “Return of the Jedi” and Strutter in the 1981 British fantasy film “Time Bandits.”

I love Time Bandits. Unfortunately it I now see 5 out of 6 dwarves in that movie are gone. Only 'Og' (Mike Edmonds) is still alive
1f641.png
Might be time to break out the DVD to watch again. I watch it probably once every 5-6 years or so. Underrated.

Time-Bandits-1280x720.jpg

There were many really ugly allegations against him which were probably true, but I'll leave those out here. He was a huge part of the WWWF/WWF/WWE's rise to prominence.

Wrestling trailblazer Pat Patterson has died at 79

Patterson began his career in 1958 and was a trailblazer in the world of wrestling as the first openly gay wrestling star -- something he spoke about in his autobiography "Accepted: How the First Gay Superstar Changed WWE."
Patterson will also be remembered for his battles with Sgt. Slaughter. He also had a number of firsts, which included the first Intercontinental Championship, WWE said.

Former wrestler turned movie star Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson paid tribute to Patterson in an Instagram post.

"RIP Pat. You'll be missed," Johnson wrote. "Rough phone calls to get this morning to tell me, our dear family member, Pat Patterson who was my pro wrestling mentor and father figure has passed away.

"Love you, Pat. And thank you. I'll see you down the road."

RIP Squiggy.

Actor David Lander, Squiggy on 'Laverne and Shirley,' dies at 73

201205-lenny-squiggy-landman-mn-1605_65c142ac10753113d7525837a36ea2ee.fit-2000w.jpg

Lander is also known for being the voice behind Smart Ass, one of the animated characters in the 1988 Disney movie “Who Framed Roger Rabbit.”

Actor David Lander, best known for his role as Squiggy in the long-running TV sitcom "Laverne & Shirley," has died at age 73.

His wife, Kathy Fields Lander, confirmed the news of his death to the Associated Press.

Lander died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles of complications related to multiple sclerosis, which he has been battling for nearly 40 years. He was surrounded by his wife, daughter and son-in-law.

Former DEATH And CYNIC Drummer SEAN REINERT Dead At 48

Sean Reinert, longtime drummer for progressive/technical metal pioneers CYNIC, has died. He was apparently found unresponsive at his California home Friday night (January 24). No cause of death has yet been revealed.

Reinert was a founding member of CYNIC, along with guitarist/vocalist Paul Masvidal, and he remained in the group until September 2015.

In 1991, Reinert and Masvidal joined the legendary Florida band DEATH to record the "Human" album. After touring with DEATH, they returned to CYNIC.

Wow, what a brutal year for Florida Metal bands. Sean Reinert's Cynic bandmate Sean Malone is dead in the same year at 50.

CYNIC Bassist SEAN MALONE Dead At 50

CYNIC's longtime bassist Sean Malone has passed away. He was 50 years old. No cause of death has yet been revealed.

The news of Malone's passing was broken by his CYNIC bandmate, guitarist/vocalist Paul Masvidal, who took to his social media earlier tonight (Wednesday, December 9) to write: "I learned today that Sean Malone has died. I am numb and grief stricken. He had a brilliant mind, a gracious heart and was one of the greatest musicians I've ever encountered.

"I know that this is a shocking loss for so many fans whose lives he touched with his artistry, as it is for me," Paul added. "Please keep him in your thoughts and listen to his playing to celebrate his life."

Malone joined CYNIC just in time to play on the band's classic debut album, 1993's "Focus". Malone proved to have quite a good musical chemistry with the rest of the band, and ended up hitting the road with CYNIC on the "Focus" tour.

After the band's initial break-up, Malone continued to work as a session bassist, performing on over 50 records. He also authored four books — "Music Theory For Bassists", "Dictionary Of Bass Grooves", "Rock Bass", and "A Portrait of Jaco: The Solos Collection" (a book of transcriptions of Jaco Pastorius's bass solos) for the Hal Leonard Corporation. In the academic field, Malone had papers on theory and music cognition published and gave presentations at conferences such as the Society for Music Theory, The International Conference of Music and Gesture, and The Glenn Gould Conference, and taught at the University of Central Missouri and Carnegie Mellon University as assistant professor of music theory.

Malone made one album under his own name, "Cortlandt", which was released in 1996 and reissued in 2007. He also assembled and recorded GORDIAN KNOT's self-titled debut, released in 1999. He rejoined CYNIC in May 2008 and played with the band for most of the past decade.

Malone is the second member of CYNIC's classic lineup to die in 2020. This past January, the band's founding drummer Sean Reinert was found unresponsive at his California home. He was only 48 years old. At the time, Malone issued a statement praising his former bandmate, saying Reinert "offered his trust during every rehearsal, every recording, and every performance we ever did, and it's likely that I'll never experience the same again. The truth is that we're all lucky — lucky to have been alive while Sean Reinert was making music."

In 1991, Reinert and Masvidal joined the legendary Florida band DEATH to record the "Human" album. After touring with DEATH, they returned to CYNIC.

I was never huge into Cynic, but I knew Reinert and Masvidal in 'Death' very, very well. I knew of Cynic because of Death, both Florida based Metal bands. I have local friends who knew Reinert, Masvidal and Malone well. Pretty rough. RIP.

I didn't follow his era of "Sports Entertainment" wrestling, but even I knew who he was. Really sad, RIP.

Jon Huber, AEW Wrestler Brodie Lee and WWE Alum Luke Harper, Dead at 41

AEW wrestler Jon Huber, better known as Dark Order leader Brodie Lee and WWE alum Luke Harper, has died at 41. The death was confirmed by AEW's official Twitter account and by his wife Amanda in a heartbreaking social media post. Huber got his start in independent wrestling in the early 2000s, including time in fan-favorite Chikara under the Brodie Lee persona.

Amanda Huber confirmed her husband's passing and cause of death in her post on Instagram. According to the post, Huber had been fighting a "non-Covid related lung issue" for the past few months, staying off AEW TV since October.

Back