Trump agrees to meet Kim Jong Un :-o

redrumloa

Reaction score
If you are honest, you know this would not have happened under the previous 4 presidents.

Trump-Kim summit plan draws positive reactions from key players

Earlier Thursday, Chung announced that Trump would meet with Kim to "continue the goal of denuclearization."

Kim "expressed his eagerness to meet President Trump as soon as possible," Chung said. "President Trump appreciated the briefing and said he would meet Kim Jong Un by May to achieve permanent denuclearization."

Kim, according to Chung, understands that joint military exercises between South Korea and the U.S. would continue. The North Korean leader, according to recent talks with Chung, also claimed to be "commited to denuclearization."

"He (Kim) pledged that North Korea will refrain from any further nuclear missile tests," Chung said, adding that Trump's "leadership" and "maximum pressure" brought us "to this juncture."

Hopefully the Dems can set aside their domestic partisan attacks and allow international diplomacy take place.

28783733_10157172007591729_228524093179445702_n.png

If you are honest, you know this would not have happened under the previous 4 presidents.
Completely wrong.

In 2000, Clinton publicly considered to fly there if the US and North Korea could agree on the latter giving up attempts to develop nuclear bombs. Clinton was wise enough to send over Albright first to help finalize terms but an agreement was never reached so Clinton did not visit the country until after leaving office (freeing two American journalists in 2009 while Obama was in charge).

Of course, at the time, Clinton was harshly criticized by American conservatives for merely considering to validate the "communist regime" in North Korea by meeting with its leader. Oh, how the times have changed...

Completely wrong.

In 2000, Clinton publicly considered to fly there if the US and North Korea could agree on the latter giving up attempts to develop nuclear bombs. Clinton was wise enough to send over Albright first to help finalize terms but an agreement was never reached so Clinton did not visit the country until after leaving office (freeing two American journalists in 2009 while Obama was in charge).

Of course, at the time, Clinton was harshly criticized by American conservatives for merely considering to validate the "communist regime" in North Korea by meeting with its leader. Oh, how the times have changed...

Different circumstances and different leader in NK. It was Kim Jong-il back then. Your memory seems much different than mine. Bill Clinton was not operating from a position of strength, he was operating as an appeaser. Bill Clinton would have gone over and bent the knee to Kim Jong-il. Bush Jr was also weak at times, but the 2 Democrats Obama and Clinton were pathetically weak.

obama-bowing-to-saudi-king.jpg

Trump OTOH did not back down. For better or for worse at the time, which now is seeming like for better, he not only did not back down and try to appease, he put NK in it's place. Bringing a rogue nation to the table when THEY are the ones backing down is how it is done. Not Obama illegally helicopter dropping hundreds of millions of dollars to Iran, think Reagan telling Gorbachev to tear down the wall during the arms race and then embracing him when he did.

Last edited:
Different circumstances and different leader in NK. It was Kim Jong-il back then.
I was fully aware of that. Clinton was dealing with the current leader's father. I cannot say I see much difference between both.

Bill Clinton was not operating from a position of strength
But David Dennison is?

Trump OTOH did not back down. For better or for worse at the time, which now is seeming like for better, he not only did not back down and try to appease, he put NK in it's place.
The meeting has yet to happen and chances are high that it won't. That is not my opinion but based on remarks in both conservative and objective, excuse me, "evil liberal" media. Even the official White House statement was very cautious.

The meeting has yet to happen and chances are high that it won't. That is not my opinion but based on remarks in both conservative and objective, excuse me, "evil liberal" media. Even the official White House statement was very cautious.

Of course everything has to play out and there is always a chance Rocketman Kim Jong Un backs out. He's paranoid and erratic as {bleep}. I was actually a little surprised that some in the Liberal Media seem to be breaking ranks with Soros on the subject.

CNN reporter praises Trump if meeting with North Korea solves issue

I think the fact that Rocketman actually suspended missile testing and communicated that he'd abandon the nuclear program entirely if his family's safety were guaranteed is a rather dramatic reversal of his stance. I'm sure Hillary Clinton's laughing "we came, we saw, he died" moment with Muammar Gaddafi has helped fuel his paranoia. This all seems to be a rather large breakthrough, but again it all has to play out to the proper end point.

I was actually a little surprised that some in the Liberal Media seem to be breaking ranks with Soros on the subject.
Well, I have no interest to engage in George Soros conspiracy "discussions".

I think the fact that Rocketman actually suspended missile testing and communicated that he'd abandon the nuclear program entirely if his family's safety were guaranteed is a rather dramatic reversal of his stance. (...) This all seems to be a rather large breakthrough, but again it all has to play out to the proper end point.
First of all, it is not uncommon for North Korea to halt missile tests for several months. There are plenty of sources online that list all known dates of North Korean missile tests. You assume any suspension of tests must be because Saint Trump was behaving like a spoiled bully on Twitter (or "being in a position of strength", as you put it) but there is zero proof that is true.

Right now, there has been no breakthrough and I, for one, am not holding my breath but would certainly welcome any progress that would improve the living conditions of the North Korean people. In the past, North Korea had already agreed to not engage in long-range missile testing for several years. Of course, Trump was not president then so it does not count in your view.

Also, when Albright was negotiating with North Korea's government they were not even close to having functional nuclear missiles, so they had a lot less to give up. If anything, North Korea is in a much stronger position now than it was 18 years ago. Again, this does not sound like a breakthrough at all.

We will see if there will ever be one. Either way, it is far too early to praise anyone since nothing of any substance has been accomplished yet.

Right now, there has been no breakthrough and I, for one, am not holding my breath but would certainly welcome any progress that would improve the living conditions of the North Korean people.

It is idiotic to give up nuclear weapons if you have them. Saddam was working on them, the US said - stop that and we can work together. He stopped and the US killed him.
Qaddafi (Gaddafi) was working on nukes at one time. The Brits (and others) said don't do that and then we can work with you. He stopped and France, Italy and the US killed him.
Iran was purifying U235, the US said stop that and we can work together. Iran stopped and the US is currently working to get out of that deal and move to a war footing with Iran.
Even if it's Trump carrying the message, how stupid do you have to be to trust the US?

Even if it's Trump carrying the message, how stupid do you have to be to trust the US?
Any decision to give up nuclear weapons will most likely have a lot more to do with trusting China.

We are all aware that North Korea was only able to continue their weapons development due to crucial technical supplies being imported from China. Furthermore, as bad as the North Korean economy is, it would completely implode if China decided to cut all ties with North Korea.

So far, China has loved keeping North Korea around as a scapegoat. It helped to deflect a lot of attention away from China being the biggest threat to "American interests" there is in the world.

However, as North Korea is getting closer to having functional nuclear weapons, what used to be a useful distraction might become a dangerous wild card in the forseeable future.

Now, imagine that China offers to guarantee North Korea's safety via an agreement that would be similar to NATO (except that it would offer protection against the US / South Korea rather than Russia).

Would it be stupid for North Korea to trust China on this? Not necessarily.

It is not in China's interest to just let the US take over North Korea, expand their area of influence and move even more troops near China's borders. In fact, I would not be surprised if China would quietly encourage North Korea to request that the US remove all troops from South Korea as part of what would officially be a bilateral disarmament deal between North and South Korea but also in many ways an agreement between China and the US.

Local radio guy had an interesting comment this morning. He's not a political guy or a political show. He's a long retired NFL player on a sports station morning drive show that rarely talks politics, except when discussing morning drive news. His point was that if Trump truly resolves the North Korea problem, he should get the Nobel Peace Prize, but he went on to say that "everyone knows they will never give it to Trump no matter what he does".

So very true.

Kim Jong Un Wants Peace Treaty From Trump, U.S. Embassy In Pyongyang

Kim Jong Un desperately wants to sign a peace treaty with President Trump after their one-on-one meeting, and he'll also invite the United States to build an embassy in the hermit kingdom, South Korea media is reporting.

"Kim is likely to raise the possibility of a peace treaty, along with establishing diplomatic relations and nuclear disarmament, during a meeting with the U.S. leader, the Dong-A Ilbo newspaper said Monday," Bloomberg News reported.

North Korea and the U.S. have been in a standoff for more than 60 years. The Korean War ended not with their surrender, but instead an "armistice," which is nothing more than a truce. The U.S. has kept a large military force in South Korea ever since.

Koh Yu-hwan, who teaches North Korean studies at Dongguk University in Seoul, told Bloomberg that “the U.S. wants a peace treaty at the end of the denuclearization process, while for the North, it’s the precondition for its denuclearization.”

And if a peace treaty can be arranged, North Korea wants the U.S. to open an embassy in the nation.

Meanwhile, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un "promised dismantlement of his country’s nuclear weapons program — not merely a freeze — when he met with South Korean envoys last week in Pyongyang, multiple government sources told the JoongAng Ilbo on Sunday."

“Kim expressed willingness for denuclearization, which includes not only a nuclear freeze but also dismantlement,” said one source familiar with the talks. “Now is the moment where we have to wait and see if the North will actually start the process of dismantling its nuclear program.”

Reminder:

occupy-democrats-be-like-meh-bombs-seven-countries-oh-my-27178482.png

North and South Korea reportedly set to announce official end to war
  • Ahead of a summit next week between North Korean premier Kim Jong Un and South Korean President Moon Jae-In, lawmakers from the neighboring states were thought to be negotiating the details of a joint statement that could outline an end to the military conflict between the two countries.
  • Pyongyang and Seoul have technically been at war since the 1950-1953 Korean conflict ended with a truce — and not a peace treaty.

Trump says 5 locations are being considered for Kim Jong Un meeting

President Donald Trump told reporters on Tuesday that five locations are being considered for his widely anticipated meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

Speaking amid talks with his skeptical Japanese counterpart, Trump said that "very high levels" of discussion between Washington and Pyongyang are already underway.

"We have had direct talks," Trump said alongside Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. "I really believe there's a lot of goodwill. We'll see what happens, as I always say. Because ultimately it's the end result that counts."

North Korean State Media Announced Nuclear Program Shutdown

“The North will shut down a nuclear test site in the country’s northern side to prove the vow to suspend nuclear test,” the announcement concluded.

NK News, a website focusing on updates from the communist country, reported that Kim told a Workers’ Party of Korea (WPK) meeting that there was “no need” for such a nuclear program anymore.

His point was that if Trump truly resolves the North Korea problem, he should get the Nobel Peace Prize, but he went on to say that "everyone knows they will never give it to Trump no matter what he does".

South Korean president: Trump 'should win the Nobel Peace Prize'

South Korean President Moon Jae-in said Monday that President Trump deserves to win a Nobel Peace Prize for his role in talks to denuclearize the Korean peninsula and end the decades-long war between the North and South.

Nice thought, but never going to happen. It's a lefty prize by lefties for lefties.

Back