The Ultimate 80's Thread

I lived in the UK from 69 to 82 so I remember some of the odd stuff that made it into the top 40 back then. This little gem clung to the top spot for 2 weeks back in 1980. This is from Top of the Pops. Jimmy Saville must have been in heaven!!

Getting back to the Canadiana of the 80s ... I think someone mentioned this band earlier in the thread but as far as I can tell it's not there yet so here is Idle Eyes with Tokyo Rose.
The lead guy in this band was born in Edmonton where I lived from 82-88 but I never met him there. I know a guy who says he met him when Moe was slinging Slurpees at a 7-eleven down on Whyte Avenue. I met Moe one time when his band played a TV show I used to host. I think this was actually the song they played on the show too - first released 1986 but then re-released 1990. The Pursuit of Happiness - I'm An Adult Now
Oh, by the way, the album was produced by Todd Rundgren who is pretty cool in his own right (but not a Canadian) who was an early adopter of the Video Toaster and did at least one video with Lightwave.
And now, here's a band I met when I was doing the pilot for the show that I mentioned above. This was the song they did that day. I was going to put up the video for "One Gun" because I knew the guy that directed it but the version I found had the audio blocked (which is pretty rude because it appears to be put up by 54-40 for use on their own website - bloody music labels). 54-40 - One Day In Your Life

Remember this one playing in Joe's Cafe on the Drive quite a bit back in the day. Good coffee, good times.
Cowboy Junkies - Misguided Angel

Getting back to the Canadiana of the 80s ... I think someone mentioned this band earlier in the thread but as far as I can tell it's not there yet so here is Idle Eyes with Tokyo Rose.

The lead guy in this band was born in Edmonton where I lived from 82-88 but I never met him there. I know a guy who says he met him when Moe was slinging Slurpees at a 7-eleven down on Whyte Avenue. I met Moe one time when his band played a TV show I used to host. I think this was actually the song they played on the show too - first released 1986 but then re-released 1990. The Pursuit of Happiness - I'm An Adult Now

Oh, by the way, the album was produced by Todd Rundgren who is pretty cool in his own right (but not a Canadian) who was an early adopter of the Video Toaster and did at least one video with Lightwave.
And now, here's a band I met when I was doing the pilot for the show that I mentioned above. This was the song they did that day. I was going to put up the video for "One Gun" because I knew the guy that directed it but the version I found had the audio blocked (which is pretty rude because it appears to be put up by 54-40 for use on their own website - bloody music labels). 54-40 - One Day In Your Life
That last one I actually quite like :)
Nicely moody 80s :)
The middle one is taken down already because of copyrights...

You know what's frustrating? I've been looking at back at the old music and 1979 was brilliant - Squeeze, Gary Numan, Boomtown Rats, Buggles, Tubeway Army, Gloria Gaynor, Ian Dury, BeeGees, Blondie and Village People!!! - but it wasn't the 80's. This one is 1980:
but this one is just 2 months too soon.
Eddie Grant's Electric Avenue was solidly in the 80s though:

For those who like their 80s with more flash (can't believe this isn't here yet but perhaps it's one of the videos that didn't work)...
maybe you would rather something more classy:
take some of that sensibility and push the glam till it turns to plastic:
but if you're looking for something more flambouyant:
and if that was too darned sunshiney sweet and you need more leather ...

There were some interesting West Coast bands with their own unique sound.
The Three O'Clock
The Rain Parade
Dream Syndicate

May I introduce you ppl to Doe Maar, an extremely popular (ska/reggae) band in the Netherlands in the 80s?

De bom (the atomic bomb)

Pa (dad)

Is Dit Alles (is this everything there is)

Belle Hélène (beautiful Hélène)

Nederwiet (cannabis sativa hollandica)

And continued:

Smoorverliefd (in love)

Sinds een dag of 2 (since about 2 days)

Nachtzuster (night nurse)

Tijd genoeg (time enough)

Rumah Saya (Indonesian: My home; about Indonesian people in the Netherlands feeling homesick)

And continued:
Je loopt je lul achterna (You're thinking with your d*ck)

Niks voor jou (not for you)

De laatste keer (the last time)

1 Nacht Alleen (1 night alone)

Back