Another mass shooting

Mass shootings are an interesting phenomenon, but let's not forget the steady drip of non-mass shootings which tell an interesting tale themselves that gets lost in the hype.
According to the charts here there are roughly 12,000 homicides per year in the US over the time span depicted which ends in 2015.
This article talks about the large disparities in fire-arm deaths between various communities and regions and finds that rates of gun ownership isn't sufficient to predict gun death rates.
The chart below shows Chicago murder rate (just by example) per capita and we see it on the rise pre 2016:
arthur-murderchicago.png

As for Pittsburgh, at least as of 2015, it was a bit more murderous than Chicago. If you want to check how things have been going in Pittsburgh, the Post-Gazette has an excellent web page.

Another interesting web site is City Data where you can compare your city to others in terms of crimes of all types.

The CDC has a nice data portal if you want to explore and compare deaths from all causes. Mass shootings get more attention because they are anomalies. The daily background death rate gets not much attention.

The chart below shows Chicago murder rate (just by example) per capita and we see it on the rise pre 2016:

Be careful Fluffy, you might be called a racist for bringing up Chicago's murder rate. Not necessarily here, but out in the wild. Black on black violence is something that everyday people are not allowed to discuss, if they don't want to be labeled racist.

Be careful Fluffy, you might be called a racist for bringing up Chicago's murder rate. Not necessarily here, but out in the wild. Black on black violence is something that everyday people are not allowed to discuss, if they don't want to be labeled racist.
Which means that black people in Chicago will keep getting shot at these ridiculous rates. It should be racist NOT to talk about it.

He used an illegal magazine. If only there was a law banning the use of illegal magazines.

Could the problem be country music? The story mentions that some of the survivors at this thing were shot at in Vegas. It's gotta make you wonder about your music choice. I wonder if any of this violence is related to a perception of country music listening types being a bunch of white supremacist fascist red-neck yokels, or whether white people and country music are still just really really really common (like a majority) in the US.

I Interestingly a trend of increasing mass shootings seemed to have taken off in 2014 and over that time is has been heavily skewed by the rising toll of single incidents.

Broward School Districts Prioritized Lawsuit Defense over ‘Honest Assessment’ of Parkland Massacre

A report in the South Florida Sun Sentinel claims that Broward County Public Schools knew about the Parkland gunman before he attacked but suppressed that which they knew.

The Sentinel reports, “Immediately after 17 people were murdered inside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, the school district launched a persistent effort to keep people from finding out what went wrong.” They go on to highlight some of the things the school district allegedly did to hide information from the public, things like trying to “spread misinformation” and even “[seeking] to jail reporters who published the truth.”

The Sentinel reports that the district “spent untold amounts on lawyersto fight the release of records and nearly $200,000 to pay public relations consultants who advised administrators toclam up.” As a result, little more is publicly known now than was known within the first weeks after the heinous attack.

For example, the Sentinel acquired an uncensored report from the Collaborative Educational Network; this report evaluated how Broward schools handled would-be gunman Nikolas Cruz as he moved from grade to grade during his education. The report showed that “the district improperly withdrew support he needed; he asked for additional services; and the district bungled his request, leaving him spinning without help.”

The Sentinel noted things in the report which they claim the district never shared publicly. For one, Cruz told one of his middle school teachers, “I’m a bad kid. I want to kill.” And one of his eighth grade art teachers wrote a behavioral evaluation on Cruz which said, “I strongly feel that Nikolas is a danger to the students and faculty at this school. I do not feel that he understands the difference between his violent video games and reality.” In 2013 Cruz told a teacher, “I would rather be on the street killing animals and setting fires.” And the list goes on.

Cruz began to attend Stoneman Douglas full-time during the Spring semester of 2016. The Sentinel suggests the result of the alleged mishandling of Cruz meant that he transferred to Stoneman Douglas and “disappeared on a giant campus with 3,300 students and no structure for emotionally troubled students like him.”

An investigative report from the Miami Herald a few days back, and today one from the Sun Sentinel? A pulse from both of the major local leftwing papers? Wow.

don't panic, as far as I know, there hasn't been a mass shooting, however, I saw this site and figured it might be interesting.

https://www.thetrace.org/features/gun-violence-interactive-shootings-map/

it's "interactive". It shows all the 150,000 shootings in the last five years all across the USA. This is heaven if you are a data nerd. I'm happy to report that in my neck of the woods, shootings are incredibly rare.

don't panic, as far as I know, there hasn't been a mass shooting, however, I saw this site and figured it might be interesting.

https://www.thetrace.org/features/gun-violence-interactive-shootings-map/

it's "interactive". It shows all the 150,000 shootings in the last five years all across the USA. This is heaven if you are a data nerd. I'm happy to report that in my neck of the woods, shootings are incredibly rare.
Must admit, the phrase "interactive shootings" was a little unnerving. Cool to see the clusters though. Let's you know what parts of town to avoid when you travel.

Must admit, the phrase "interactive shootings" was a little unnerving. Cool to see the clusters though. Let's you know what parts of town to avoid when you travel.

Not being snarky, actually being serious. Pin point the city in each hot zone and you will find it is Democrat/Liberal strongholds. Seriously, look at Portland(Whitelandia). What is Portland known for? Being full of rich white (Liberal) trust fund kids.

Last edited:
Back