Brexit!! Yeah, it's a thing now..

Isn't that treason? Shouldn't he be quartered and his limbs being put up for display on the London Bridge?
"... his severed head impaled on a pike and the ravens from tower of London permitted to peck out his duplicitous eyes"

Brexit deal: What is in it?

UK nationals will need a visa if they want to stay in the EU more than 90 days in a 180-day period. They will still be able to use their EHICs which will remain valid until they expire. The UK government says they will be replaced by a new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC), but there are no further details yet on how to obtain it.

From a purely selfish point of view, this is extremely disappointing. Travelling freely in Europe was something I enjoyed for decades. Ignorant xenophobes and racists have thrown it away for an empty promise.

i get the message:
"This Tweet is from an account that no longer exists"

that was fast
Apologies, no idea how I missed this at the time but the Twitter thread is still there. Perhaps disappeared temporarily.

Brexit deal: What is in it?

From a purely selfish point of view, this is extremely disappointing. Travelling freely in Europe was something I enjoyed for decades. Ignorant xenophobes and racists have thrown it away for an empty promise.
Travel to Calais by dinghy or in the back of a lorry, claim refugee status: stay as long as you like and travel wherever you please.

Travel to Calais by dinghy or in the back of a lorry, claim refugee status: stay as long as you like and travel wherever you please.
Ironically one of the activities many thought Brexit would bring to an end.

We've left. The whole tide of BS that led to that
decision is somewhat irrelevant now. We need to just try and make the best of it. Maybe I'll be proven wrong and it won't be the munted shitshow that I'm expecting.

We've left. The whole tide of BS that led to that
decision is somewhat irrelevant now. We need to just try and make the best of it. Maybe I'll be proven wrong and it won't be the munted shitshow that I'm expecting.
The Biden win in the US is probably ... sub-optimal for the UK. They would have done better with a Trump win I feel. Trump was very pro-UK, Biden is a EU backer. That makes it more likely that the US will side with Europe if the EU wants to punish the UK and make an example out of her. Putting the boots in to the extent possible would be what the EU needs to do to prevent other states from exiting - they will be watching - but also probably fits the sentiment and temperament of the project architects on a personal level for going against the plan.

Most of the businesses will still want to trade, that's been my feeling all along, and the consequences mostly come down to how much pain can be generated by the political classes.

Trump was very pro-UK...
I disagree. In the same way he was pro Mike Pence, perhaps, and probably not even that much. Trump was, is and always will be pro-Trump. If helping the UK helped Trump, he would probably have helped. If it didn't he wouldn't. During his four years he uttered some pro-UK platitudes because it suited him at the time and did not a lot else. Nothing especially wrong with that but let's not try to pretend he's turned into some sort of altruistic fairy godfather.

Putting the boots in to the extent possible would be what the EU needs to do to prevent other states from exiting
Again, I disagree. There are already signs of the shitshow to come that I feel will be plenty enough of a deterrent to most if economics is the driver.

Most of the businesses will still want to trade
Of course they will. The idea that they wouldn't was always a red herring. However, the inescapable truth of the matter is that doing business with the EU just got a lot more expensive in both directions for most businesses.

Of course they will. The idea that they wouldn't was always a red herring. However, the inescapable truth of the matter is that doing business with the EU just got a lot more expensive in both directions for most businesses.
It didn't have to though. It was in the power of the UK and EU policy makers to make it easier or harder. There was discretion available. The politicians can make things as hard or as easy as they want more or less. The politicians set up or tear down the roadblocks as they see fit. If there were no governments nor regulations, trade wouldn't stop for lack of rules - it would probably expand. The rules are created precisely to block or allow trade based on strategic objectives of the ruling classes.

The fisheries are the most visible victim but reality is starting to hit evertone. Even with the "deal", it's turning out to be a munted sh*tshow. For many smaller businesses, dealing with customs red tape has proven to be too much.

Back