Elon Muskrat watch

Easy for China to do. They just make such vehicles legal. In the US (or most western countries probably) there would have to be additional weight for safety especially since the western countries have been putting heavier vehicles on the road making it more dangerous to be small and light. The West could easily have opened up a cheap electric market just by making such a class of cars legal - but they didn't.
Which is part of the reason that Tesla deliberately targeted the luxury performance end of the market. It's the only way for small (esp startup) car companies to get into the game in the West. In China, you just need to know the right official to bribe.
There is some of that, but not really my point in posting. GM is involved in selling that cheapo electric car in China. Reinforcing the "Tesla's valuation is lunacy" theme here.

@Joobo

The Prius does not get the full electric vehicle tax credit because it is a Hybrid. Any vehicle that requires gas is not an electric vehicle.

@Joobo

The Prius does not get the full electric vehicle tax credit because it is a Hybrid.
Do you have a source for your claim? Here is mine: U.S. Department of Energy

According to this government website, buyers of Prius or a RAV4 hybrid cars get the full $7,500, i.e. the exact same amount you get when purchasing any Tesla car.

Any vehicle that requires gas is not an electric vehicle.
As I mentioned in a prior post, Toyota's Prius can be used in all-electric mode. Its battery is sufficiently large to cover the average daily commute in Europe, for instance.

Using gasoline is merely an option (and clearly useful for longer trips) and not a technical requirement for recharging the battery.

@JoBBo

The advantage of electric cars is no spark plugs, transmissions, oil changes, belts, drive shafts and much much more. With a pure EV you have very little vehicle maintenance and almost never need a mechanic and or dealership. With Hybrids and plug-in Hybrids you still have to deal with these issues, hopefully to a lower degree. I guess you can call these dual system cars electric cars if you want to and if the government gives you a full EV credit then that’s awesome for you. I prefer to avoid having to deal with all this obsolete ICE technology. My first electric car had over 100,000 miles on It when I sold it and it only needed tires and a cabin filter during the time I owned it. Get rid of the complexity of internal combustion engines I say. And for that matter get rid of cancer causing gas and diesel fuel. The future is about modern technology not obsolete technology. Of course if you want to still support ICE or hybrid tech that’s a personal decision and up to you.

Researchers tricked Tesla vehicles into going 85 in a 35 using a little black tape.

Two Tesla vehicles were tricked into going 85 in a 35 by researchers who put electrical tape over a speed limit sign.

The findings which were released in February, highlight the difficulties with autonomous drivings systems. The simple act of using black tape across the first digit of a 35 mph speed limit sign caused the vehicle's cruise control system to accelerate to 85mph.

Of course, the best thing to come out of this research is reading the twitter commentary:

Actually, their solar panel business is close to non-existent and they are still actively trying to figure out how to make it work. After all these years, they remain in a testing phase and continue to solicit feedback from roofing companies to figure out how they could scale up the business.

I like the general concept of "invisible" solar panels and have been following this for a while but Tesla appear to be really struggling with this. I suspect their initial cost estimates were overly aggressive and driving up sales would be highly unprofitable until they figure out how to lower manufacturing costs.

It appears that my speculation was not too far off:

Tesla tells customers they’ll have to pay more for solar roof

One solar roof customer told The Verge he signed a contract in February to install the solar roof for $35,000, with an additional $30,000 for the batteries. Later, he received a “terse email” from Tesla stating that in several days he would receive a new contract with higher prices. He was told he now owed $75,000 for the solar roof—a 114 percent increase—and $35,000 for the batteries.

@JoBBo

It looks like the New York Times agrees with me that hybrids and plug-in hybrids are not electric cars. They call them gasoline-electric hybrids.

Sorry, but citing two random writers working for a mainstream newspaper as an authoritative voice on what is and is not an electric vehiclde seems far fetched to me.

It is not like the New York Times is infalible: New York Times: we were wrong on Iraq

Sorry, but citing two random writers working for a mainstream newspaper as an authoritative voice on what is and is not an electric vehiclde seems far fetched to me.

It is not like the New York Times is infalible: New York Times: we were wrong on Iraq
It's common sense that if a car includes an internal combustion engine as well as tech to plug in and charge it's obviously not an electric vehicle, it's a hybrid. An electric car is just that, a car that gets its PowerSource from electricity.

It's common sense that if a car includes an internal combustion engine as well as tech to plug in and charge it's obviously not an electric vehicle, it's a hybrid. An electric car is just that, a car that gets its PowerSource from electricity.
I am afraid this is not common sense at all.

The difference between an ICE automobile and an EV is that the latter uses one or multiple electric motors to create motion. That's all there is to it.

I do not expect you to believe me or some random newspaper article either. Here is the official definition as stated by the...
United States Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy:

There are two basic types of EVs: all-electric vehicles (AEVs) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs).
EVs (also known as plug-in electric vehicles) derive all or part of their power from electricity supplied by the electric grid. They include AEVs and PHEVs.

Source: https://www.energy.gov/eere/electricvehicles/electric-vehicle-basics

@JoBBo

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one then. If something requires an internal combustion engine to function and needs oil changes and all the other legacy crap then in my opinion that's not an electric car. I don't call something an EV because it has an electric motor. All cars have an electric starter so you don't have to crank them But no one calls that an EV. If government bureaucrats say Hybrids are EVs then you can believe them I guess. Government workers are not always known to be the most tech-savvy. The Amiga had an option when it came out to add a PC Bridgecard so it could run MS-DOS. But I certainly would not call the Amiga an IBM Compatible and if you only used that mode you kind of missed the point of what the Amiga was. Having to buy gas and get oil changes on a plug-in hybrid kind of misses the point on some of the great advantages of having an EV. Almost no maintenance, not having to stop to buy cancer-causing fuel, Etc. Nothing wrong with buying a hybrid though if that's what you like. It does require a little less maintenance than a traditional ICE car.

Last edited:
@JoBBo

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one then. If something requires an internal combustion engine to function and needs oil changes and all the other legacy crap then in my opinion that's not an electric car. I don't call something an EV because it has an electric motor. All cars have an electric starter so you don't have to crank them But no one calls that an EV. If government bureaucrats say Hybrids are EVs then you can believe them I guess. Government workers are not always known to be the most tech-savvy.

Right, so I have a very simple question: Who do you consider to be an authority on what is and what is not an electric vehicle? Is there even anybody on this planet that you find trustworthy enough to trust their opinion on the matter?

I know you clearly think you are an authority on this topic (with your "common sense" and all). But who else is?

How about scientists? Could they possibly know better than you do? Or are they in the pockets of "big government" as well as "big oil" and part of a worldwide conspiracy to redefine the meaning of "electric vehicle"?

Here is what the Federation of American Scientists has to say on the matter:
Electric motors and traction battery packs—most commonly made up of lithium-ion battery cells—set EVs apart from internal combustion engine vehicles (ICEVs).

This is exactly what I wrote before and it is about as succinct as one could possibly define EVs. If it does not have an electric propulsion system, then it is not an EV. Period.

EVs can be separated into three broad categories:
  • Hybrid-electric vehicles (HEVs): The internal combustion engine primarily powers the wheels. The battery pack and electric motor provide supplemental power.
  • Plug-in hybrid-electric vehicles (PHEVs): The battery pack can be charged by an external source of electricity. Depending on the model, primary power to the wheels may be supplied by the battery pack and electric motor, the internal combustion engine, or a combination.
  • All-electric vehicles (AEVs; also called battery-electric vehicles or BEVs): The battery pack must be charged via an external source of electricity. The battery pack and electric motor power the wheels.

Source: https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R46231.pdf

@JoBBo

Our conversation is not going anywhere. No matter what you call electric cars, let’s call them for this example Billy Bob’s Electron Munching machines. My point is for the majority of the public, EVs will forever change the auto industry and dominate it in the coming years. Maybe you have fond memories for watching movies on VHS? But tonight If you watch a movie, an old rotting VHS tape probably wont be part of the experience.

Maybe you have fond memories for watching movies on VHS? But tonight If you watch a movie, an old rotting VHS tape probably wont be part of the experience.

An odd comparison, but if you want to go there, than use vinyl records instead.

Vinyl sales in the US just had their biggest week in history

Sales by volume are also set to beat last year’s 4.3 million figure, even as the physical music market took a dip by almost half in March when the first nationwide lockdown forced high street retailers to close. The first signs of this year’s soaring vinyl sales came when record stores re-opened in June for the first time since lockdown.

This year also saw vinyl outsell CDs for the first time since the 1980s. According to the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), vinyl contributed a staggering $232 million (£181 million) to total physical sales of $376 million (£278 million) in the first half of 2020.

To a segment of the public, myself included, digital will never sound as good as vinyl played on a true analog stereo.

I should have explained why I’m using the VHS comparison. I use it because a VHS VCR is very noisy especially when rewinding tapes. Also It has some motors and gears that wear out and is obsolete when compared to Blu-ray or Streaming. Internal combustion engine cars are also noisy and have gears and moving parts that wear out. I wouldn’t consider Vinyl a comparative to VHS in this example but it’s still a niche. When Electric cars replace ICE it will still have a niche with the purists that love working on and modding their obsolete gas guzzlers. That will probably always be around in the coming years but it will dwindle over time. Most people want a affordable reliable car that they can depend on. In the future an EV will fulfill this. And or a Hybrid or plug-in Hybrid if you're more excited about that. Vinyl does have a unique and distinct sound. I no longer own one but kind of get the appeal to some. I wouldn’t use Vinyl personally in this comparison. Maybe a cassette tape, that would be similar to VHS but not as loud.

Last edited:
I find it interesting some of the things he's done in recent times, but I still think as a business man he's riding the coattails of others at best, and a snake oil salesman at worse. Him having Tesla the company buy $1.5B was indeed a smart move IMO, but he's clearly doing it to cover for the fact it is not a profitable business model and may never be.

aaaaaaaaaaaand just like that some short moths later, Elon Muskrat flipflops on Bitcoin.

Elon Muskrat says Tesla will stop accepting bitcoin for car purchases, citing environmental concerns

Elon Muskrat is no genius.

According to some Qanons, he's not even Elon Musk :confused: :
184758828_10222873442117328_4492754595024203177_n.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaand just like that some short moths later, Elon Muskrat flipflops on Bitcoin.

Elon Muskrat says Tesla will stop accepting bitcoin for car purchases, citing environmental concerns

BITCOIN FANS ARE ABSOLUTELY FURIOUS AT ELON MUSK

The move sent shockwaves through the Bitcoin community — and caused the crypto’s value to plummet — with cryptocurrency holders accusing Musk, in strident terms, of manipulating the market.

“For the millionth time, Elon is not your friend,” one redditor commented. “He’s a billionaire who will continue to use crypto as an investment vehicle to make him more money. Y’all are crazy for thinking he won’t do this again when he one thousand percent will.”

What Elon Muskrat did was classic pump & dump, and no one is prosecuting him for it. Unfortunately for him, the dump was neither deep nor long lasting. Elon Muskrat is no different than the robber barons that preceded him.

Dogecoin creator calls Elon Musk a “narcissistic scammer”

In his post on the social network Twitter Jackson Palmer wrote literally the following: “Just a reminder: Elon Musk was and always will be a narcissistic fraudster.” He added: I will delete this post in 1 minute because that’s all I wanted to say and I like the quiet life. ” Of course, screenshots instantly spread across the Internet.

In another post, Jackson Palmer commented on Musk’s appearance on Saturday Night Live as follows: “The PS episode of Saturday Night Live was terrible, bro.” Recall that Elon Musk’s fortune fell by more than $ 20 billion since he appeared on Saturday Night Live and talked about his suffering from Asperger’s syndrome.

Palmer, who created the digital currency Dogecoin in 2013 with fellow programmer Billy Markus, claims he hasn’t been involved with cryptocurrencies in years. Twitter users were surprised by Palmer’s comments about Musk, as he rarely speaks publicly.

Back