Is the new Fiat 500 a girly car?

My wife's father had one of the old original Cinquecento. It's tiny but completely drivable and perfect for the narrow streets. I think my wife's mother still has it. It's in Carrara where she spends a couple of months every summer.

I'd figure the new model was probably bigger in the same way the new mini is bigger and if it sips gas especially if you have a long commute and you don't have to drive 8 people around I'd say it's probably worth considering.

As for "girly car" - this is my "girly car" sitting outside my house in Vancouver.
car5.jpg

My wife's father had one of the old original Cinquecento. It's tiny but completely drivable and perfect for the narrow streets. I think my wife's mother still has it. It's in Carrara where she spends a couple of months every summer.

I'd figure the new model was probably bigger in the same way the new mini is bigger and if it sips gas especially if you have a long commute and you don't have to drive 8 people around I'd say it's probably worth considering.

As for "girly car" - this is my "girly car" sitting outside my house in Vancouver.
car5.jpg

car5.jpg

car5.jpg

FluffyMcDeath said:

car5.jpg

Ahh I hadn't realised the original made it to North America ;-) There is talk of Fiat paying Chrysler to use their spare capacity to build them in NA.

The new one is about 50cm longer, 10cm wider and about 300kg heavier. Most of the extra space is probably for airbags, impact bars and all the other things they have to put in modern cars.

The Mini comparison is interesting. Austin's Mini and the first 500 were cheap. BMW's remake went for the premium market, absolutely not cheap 'n cheerful. The new 500 comes in at about the same as your average supermini.

I like your all-American hairdresser's car :) My girlfriend fancies one too. The MX5 is chunky though, and I think it's been made cool for blokes by the likes of Top Gear's Richard Hammond.

FluffyMcDeath said:

car5.jpg

Ahh I hadn't realised the original made it to North America ;-) There is talk of Fiat paying Chrysler to use their spare capacity to build them in NA.

The new one is about 50cm longer, 10cm wider and about 300kg heavier. Most of the extra space is probably for airbags, impact bars and all the other things they have to put in modern cars.

The Mini comparison is interesting. Austin's Mini and the first 500 were cheap. BMW's remake went for the premium market, absolutely not cheap 'n cheerful. The new 500 comes in at about the same as your average supermini.

I like your all-American hairdresser's car :) My girlfriend fancies one too. The MX5 is chunky though, and I think it's been made cool for blokes by the likes of Top Gear's Richard Hammond.

FluffyMcDeath said:

car5.jpg

FluffyMcDeath said:

car5.jpg

FluffyMcDeath said:

car5.jpg

FluffyMcDeath said:

car5.jpg

smithy said:
FluffyMcDeath said:
My wife's father had one of the old original Cinquecento. It's tiny but completely drivable and perfect for the narrow streets. I think my wife's mother still has it. It's in Carrara where she spends a couple of months every summer.[...]
Ahh I hadn't realised the original made it to North America ;-)

Maybe I was a little misleading. The Cinquecento is usually parked somewhere around here.

It has the rep here of being a ladies car. I don't see it. They're a very stiff ride for one thing, and they don't have much luggage room. I've wanted one for years (used to have a triumph spitfire but got tired of putting money into it and wanted something more reliable). I was looking for a cheap old 1990 so I'd have money left over to ... um modify it :twisted: but I took the wife out shopping and she say this 99 and liked it so I was "allowed" to buy it.

S'funny, but just about every one of these I looked at was owned by a woman. For the most part it also seems like they've never been taken over 3000RPM.

Anyway, I love it. It's only 110hp but it doesn't really weigh anything so it goes when you ask it too and it doesn't use a lot of petrol. I just wish I had more winding roads around here to drive it on.

smithy said:
FluffyMcDeath said:
My wife's father had one of the old original Cinquecento. It's tiny but completely drivable and perfect for the narrow streets. I think my wife's mother still has it. It's in Carrara where she spends a couple of months every summer.[...]

Maybe I was a little misleading. The Cinquecento is usually parked somewhere around here.

It has the rep here of being a ladies car. I don't see it. They're a very stiff ride for one thing, and they don't have much luggage room. I've wanted one for years (used to have a triumph spitfire but got tired of putting money into it and wanted something more reliable). I was looking for a cheap old 1990 so I'd have money left over to ... um modify it :twisted: but I took the wife out shopping and she say this 99 and liked it so I was "allowed" to buy it.

S'funny, but just about every one of these I looked at was owned by a woman. For the most part it also seems like they've never been taken over 3000RPM.

Anyway, I love it. It's only 110hp but it doesn't really weigh anything so it goes when you ask it too and it doesn't use a lot of petrol. I just wish I had more winding roads around here to drive it on.

smithy said:
FluffyMcDeath said:

smithy said:
FluffyMcDeath said:

smithy said:
FluffyMcDeath said:

smithy said:
FluffyMcDeath said:

smithy said:
I like the new Fiat 500: cheap, fuel efficient, and it has a cool retro look, especially the interior. But maybe it's a bit girly.. what do you think?
2009 Ford Ka is based on the Fiat 500 chassis.
2009-Ford-Ka-Off.jpg

Offical specs and engines are coming this fall in Paris. Likely the engines are the same as they're coming out of the same plant. A bit large but here's the interior.. http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autob ... 8/ka_3.jpg

smithy said:
I like the new Fiat 500: cheap, fuel efficient, and it has a cool retro look, especially the interior. But maybe it's a bit girly.. what do you think?
2009-Ford-Ka-Off.jpg

Offical specs and engines are coming this fall in Paris. Likely the engines are the same as they're coming out of the same plant. A bit large but here's the interior.. http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autob ... 8/ka_3.jpg

smithy said:
2009-Ford-Ka-Off.jpg

smithy said:
2009-Ford-Ka-Off.jpg

Back