nCoV2019 Pandimec!

How concerned are you?

• No worse than a typical flu season

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
"I drove 30 miles to a beauty spot with my wife and kid to TEST MY EYESIGHT because I thought Covid might have affected it. Yes, I drove to test my eyesight."

Looks like the gutter tabloids will be having some fun with it, starting with the Star:
EY-Tk5rXkAEeWsO

I'm surprised no one has posted about the latest Whitmer shitshow in Michigan. The latest stay-at-home rules change (they randomly change weekly, it seems, never in line with anything the CDC or science backs up) did allow power boating once again, but not travel to vacation homes in the area her husband had traveled to. While at the vacation home he wasn't supposed to travel to, he tried to get his boat launched. Ironically, he name-drops his wife while trying to get his boat moved up in the backlog that her random power boating ban last month created.

We were on the right side of things to close down relatively early, and cancelling school was the right call. And, we need to be careful about a lot of other activities. I live in a county with the 4th highest COVID concentration in the US (Wayne Co, MI). I get all that, and I support sensible science backed precautions. I'll even wear my damn uncomfortable mask because science objectively shows it cuts down your risk of infecting others. I GET IT. ALL OF IT.

But when our politicians act like this, it totally undermines everything sensible. They make it hard NOT to storm Lansing in protest. And THAT gives the impression that we're all wackos who want to open everything and don't believe that COVID is a problem. "See how many people are protesting!! Michigan needs to open everything!" NO, GODDAMIT! WE KNOW THIS ISN'T MAGICALLY OVER. WE NEED SENSIBLE RESTRICTIONS THAT ARE FOLLOWED BY EVERYONE.

Damn, I knew I'd miss Rick Snyder. Sorry for the rant. Too much stay-at-home. lol.

I actually came to the site this morning to post about it while drinking my coffee, when I saw you beat me to the punch.

Anyhow, Whitner seems to be having a real bad day today. It couldn't happen to a better (meaning worse) Commie.

Democrat State Rep Sues Gretchen Whitmer over Censure After Thanking President Trump

The suit accuses Whitmer and the Democrats of “violations of free speech and defamation,” MLive reported.

Whitsett visited the White House earlier this month to thank Trump.

“Thank you for everything that you have done,” Whitsett told Trump.

“I didn’t know that saying thank you had a political line,” she said. “I thought just saying thank you meant thank you.”

Who wants to bet Whisett gets red-pilled in the near future?

Actually I've read a fair bit about what's called "gain of function" and how it is an unusual mix of coronavirus genes with some very low probability inserts if it was a wild mix. It doesn't appear to show CRSPR work but at around 30 kilo bases, the technology exists to print an RNA strand that long without much trouble.
Gain of function research was "paused" in the US under Obama in 2014, but was allowed to continue in China as far as I can tell, so any Americans wanting to do it could work through the Wuhan Institute of Virology. I believe gain of function was resumed in 2017 according to that paper, but some research started before the pause continued to completion.
The Wuhan lab has received grants (see article, search "funded by") from the NIAID. Fauci is the director of that organisation since 1984.
None of those links is too surprising as high level biological science is a small community heavily funded by governments, but the fact that gain-of-function research is actually a thing is .... a thing that makes you go "Hmmmm".

Positive? Positive is good, right?
As much as I dislike the man, this disease is terrifying and I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

Having said that, it's a pretty unsurprising October surprise.

The kind of gallows humor, I imagine. "He passed his test! See? It has a + right here!"

It did kind of surprise me, to be honest. Because as much as Trump has downplayed the virus in public, they actually were extensively screening absolutely everyone who could get anywhere near him. A luxury none of us get to have covered. In fact, for a couple months recently, they'd refuse to even test you if you didn't have symptoms, regardless of your exposure. That whole "We're testing too much! Cut back the testing!" thing he pushed for. That's why some states have 25%+ positive tests, now.

The kind of gallows humor, I imagine. "He passed his test! See? It has a + right here!"

It did kind of surprise me, to be honest. Because as much as Trump has downplayed the virus in public, they actually were extensively screening absolutely everyone who could get anywhere near him. A luxury none of us get to have covered. In fact, for a couple months recently, they'd refuse to even test you if you didn't have symptoms, regardless of your exposure. That whole "We're testing too much! Cut back the testing!" thing he pushed for. That's why some states have 25%+ positive tests, now.

I think that Trump was just trying to pass on what the experts were telling him and, just like a staff science writer, he doesn't know enough not to mangle the information. I get a glimpse into some of the debate over testing sometimes and part of what epidemiologists are debating is the usefulness of tests versus the cost for asymptomatic people.
A big part of the discussion is the specificity/sensitivity of the tests where sensitivity is what percentage of true positives the test will flag as positive, and specificity which is the percentage of true negatives the test will identify as negative. The problem comes in particularly when you have low levels of the disease in the population. If a test has a specificity of 90% but he prevalence of disease is less than 1%, the false positives will drown out the real positives. In theory you can save a lot of money and get a better idea of who has the disease by testing the likely positives only (i.e. symptomatics). The other side of the coin is that you will miss asymptomatic cases which will go on spreading the disease. There are a lot of different opinions among the professionals.

New Lancet study showing 25 year old man infected twice, and second infection was worse.

We were discussing this as far back as April 2020, but back then it was labeled "debunked xenophobic conspiracy theory pushed by orangemanbad" that Covid-19 came from a Wuhan China lab? Suddenly and very quietly it has become established fact.

Suddenly and pretty quietly it is becoming established fact.

It is no longer banned discussion on Fakebook. Your media lies to you.

We were discussing this as far back as April 2020, but back then it was labeled "debunked xenophobic conspiracy theory pushed by orangemanbad" that Covid-19 came from a Wuhan China lab? Suddenly and very quietly it has become established fact.

Suddenly and pretty quietly it is becoming established fact.

STUDY CLAIMS CHINESE SCIENTISTS CREATED COVID-19, RETRO-ENGINEERED BY SCIENTISTS TO COVER TRACKS

A new study claims that Chinese scientists created COVID-19 in a Wuhan lab, then tried to cover their tracks by reverse-engineering versions of the virus to make it look like it evolved naturally from bats.

DailyMail.com exclusively obtained the new 22-page paper authored by British Professor Angus Dalgleish and Norwegian scientist Dr. Birger Sørensen set to be published in the Quarterly Review of Biophysics Discovery, which shows there’s evidence to suggest Chinese scientists created the virus while working on a Gain of Function project in a Wuhan lab.

Dalgleish, who works at St George’s University, London, and Sørensen, the chair of the pharmaceutical company Immunor, claim Covid-19 has ‘no credible natural ancestor’. The new study claims researchers found ‘unique fingerprints’ in COVID-19 samples that they say could only have arisen from manipulation in a laboratory.

Gain of Function research, which was temporarily banned in the U.S., involves altering naturally occurring viruses to make them more infectious in order to study their potential effects on humans.

Dr. Anthony Fauci defended U.S. funding of the Wuhan Institute of Virology earlier this week, saying the $600,000 grant was not approved for Gain of Function research.

Although Fauci said the National Institutes of Health “has not ever and does not now fund gain-of-function research in the Wuhan Institute of Virology,” Paul says there is evidence to the contrary, The Hill reports.

But the researchers who concluded that COVID-19 ‘has no credible natural ancestor’, also believe scientists reverse-engineered versions of the virus to cover up their tracks.

“We think that there have been retro-engineered viruses created,” Dalgleish told DailyMail.com. “They’ve changed the virus, then tried to make out it was in a sequence years ago.”

Back