Why do I even care any more?

I have no Ultimate Solution, but encouraging the members to exercise their ignore feature would help because franko loves the attention and when he doesn't get it he'll be off looking for it elsewhere.

Heh, I wasn't even aware there was one.
You can guess who the one and only person on my list is.

I thought it'd make my Amiga.org life a lot quieter but I promptly discovered why someone was asking for the ability to ignore quotes in posts!

Heh, I wasn't even aware there was one.
You can guess who the one and only person on my list is.

I thought it'd make my Amiga.org life a lot quieter but I promptly discovered why someone was asking for the ability to ignore quotes in posts!

Apparently there is a firebug plugin you can use to avoid even that for all vbulitin boards.

so franko lives in West Lothian, Livingston
Latitude: 55.8833
Longitude: -3.5333

quick....someone get a net

Where'd you see that?
according to the post in moo bunny the poster claiming to be franko has an ip of 90.215.150.6

it's easy to do a search for that ip. those are the results.
just put "IP" in a google search, that brings up any number of sites that do those type of searches, go....

yeah, I know, I'm sneaky.
but then, i'm American ;)

according to the post in moo bunny the poster claiming to be franko has an ip of 90.215.150.6

it's easy to do a search for that ip. those are the results.
just put "IP" in a google search, that brings up any number of sites that do those type of searches, go....

yeah, I know, I'm sneaky.
but then, i'm American ;)

Yeah, but the troll hides behind a proxy anyhow.

Yeah, but the troll hides behind a proxy anyhow.
That's one reason I said he was "claiming to be franko".
I don't know for a FACT that the poster on moo is the Same franko as the franko on AO.

I have no idea at all. I just did an IP search for the fun of it.
and if this 'moo franko' stays there to do his posting he will simply join the Discontent and Miserable that seem to congregate there. and to that I say good riddance.
I never read moo (This moment is the first in years) and after today I won't be returning.

I find this kind of posting stupid and a waste of my time.
I think I did that IP search to amuse myself and wash my eyes from the evil that is MOO

Meh, Moobunny has it's place in the Kommunity.

With you there. Occassionally good for a giggle. First I've read it in ages but a couple of the posts still made me smile.

Maybe but that location perfectly matches the style of speaking. About 20 minutes from me.
it's probably the IP for the provider.

but if i were you, I wouldn't tell franko you may be this close to him
I'd hate to see him banging on your door one late evening!
YIKKIES!
:eek:

I'm kinda gutted at the state of the place. I'm no so bothered about who is and who isn't flavour of the month over there; these things always go round in cycles from my experience.

What upsets me is the seeming lack of basic upkeep of the place. The cracks are really showing now, with frequent delays, db dropouts and associated errors.

I've done what I can for the place. First there was the migration and all the 3rd party xoops stuff to import. Since moving to vb, all 20 or so of classic users got short shrift, so I created a proxy just for them. The place was breached twice (injected php, nothing was added to or taken from the db) by automated attacks. Both times I was able to fix it, do the post mortem and plug whatever hole had allowed it in the first place. We've had various bugs crop up that I've fixed or worked around (that bloody shareads() thing was the worst, living as it did inside eval()'d code).

More recently, the site started to grind, so I reviewed all the basic performance stuff. And when fixing htaccess rules, slow queries, insert/update prority policies, on-the-fly image re-sampling and a dozen other aspects wasn't enough, I started a "donut" cache project to try and reduce the query overhead. In the end, the latter needs much more work to be reliable and robust. I was going to look into that this weekend.

And then it hit me. Why am I even bothering? It's not as if *I* own the place and as far as I can tell, there's nothing actually wrong with it that couldn't be fixed by getting a heavier duty hosting package.

So, yesterday I logged out for the first time since it migrated.

@Karlos
I feel for you mate. You put your heart and soul into a.o after all.

holy crap Karlos, I really appreciate all your hard work - even if I don't understand all that :D
Don't think some of us don't worship are your virtual feet!

And then it hit me. Why am I even bothering? It's not as if *I* own the place and as far as I can tell, there's nothing actually wrong with it that couldn't be fixed by getting a heavier duty hosting package.
So, yesterday I logged out for the first time since it migrated.

I can't say one way or the other really. Your choice entirely, but you do have a point.

From my perspective, since both Bill and Tedd seem to be so far up Franko's ass that they can't even be bothered to enforce even the basic rules regarding foul language, the site (and a large part of the community) is lost regardless.

BTW, Thanks for honoring my last request regarding my account.

Wayne

@Wayne
WTF is up with the relationship between the owners of a.o and Franko? The way he was slagging them off on moo, I'm amazed they let him back...

I really can't comment without my own stuff getting involved, but considering the speed at which his account was reinstated after I told him to just go talk to Bill, I can only surmise that both Bill and Tedd either ARE Franko, or they're good buddies with him.

There seems to be some confusion over hits to the web site (driving google ads) by way of people fighting trolls is the same thing as the site "becoming more and more popular".

I find it amazing that so many people support him though, so frankly stated, "I'm out". Intended without malice, I have no interest in being a part of any site or community that would not only welcome but blindly defend Franko as a member.

Back