Suddenly vaccine skepticism has gone mainstream.

When will the conversation swing to where it should be?

Vaccinated Bryan Adams Tests Positive for COVID a Second Time in One Month

Bryan Adams has revealed that he has tested positive in a breakthrough case of COVID-19 for a second time in one month.

The musician, whose representative had said in October that he had taken the COVID-19 vaccine, took to Instagram on Thursday to reveal that he had tested positive for the virus once again as he touched down in Milan, Italy.

Adams, 62, also shared that he was heading to hospital, as he shared photos of himself wearing a mask in the airport and an ambulance he was waiting to board.

Florida Reports Lowest Coronavirus Cases per Capita as Blue States Surge

“They don’t want to tell you this, but Florida for like almost a month has been either the lowest or one of the lowest COVID in the entire country,” Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) said during a press conference in Brandon, Florida, last week, where he signed legislation designed to protect workers from vaccine mandates.

“You see it surging in other parts. The corporate media, they don’t like it when it surges in other parts. They only like it when it surges in places that they don’t like,” he explained.
I think I've already point this out, but it obviously bares repeating

For instance, Florida has about 21 million residents, Australia somewhat more, 26 million.

Then look at COVID-19 deaths:

• Florida: 17,460.
  • Australia: 907.

Their strategic plan involved testing, tracing and social distancing. In contrast, the U.S. has never had enough tests, nor enough staff to trace contacts. And our president made fun of masks and led mass events with no distancing.

Yet now the Sydney Opera House is open and workers are encouraged to return to their offices.

America is not Australia. But Australia proves that a free nation can succeed against a coronavirus if people work together.

this is from last year:

When will the conversation swing to where it should be?

Vaccinated Bryan Adams Tests Positive for COVID a Second Time in One Month

Bryan Adams has revealed that he has tested positive in a breakthrough case of COVID-19 for a second time in one month.

The musician, whose representative had said in October that he had taken the COVID-19 vaccine, took to Instagram on Thursday to reveal that he had tested positive for the virus once again as he touched down in Milan, Italy.

Adams, 62, also shared that he was heading to hospital, as he shared photos of himself wearing a mask in the airport and an ambulance he was waiting to board.
individual stories are meaningless.

it's not impossible for breakout infections. That has been true since the vaccines first became available.

my story is equally meaningless: Friday I got my booster. I'm fine. I haven't been infected ever. Of course, I pay attention to science so I am careful, wear a mask when shopping and keep away from crowds.

What matters is data collected from various sources by various researchers.

I think I've already point this out, but it obviously bares repeating

this is from last year:

Florida is a single US state, out of a country of 50 states, being a single country out of a continent. Australia is a continent all on it's own.

Australia: 2.97 million mi²
Florida: 65,758 mi²

Do the math on density. Australia is the world's least densely populated continent, aside from Antartica which does not have a permanent population.

None of the measures Australia is doing have any meaningful impact. Do you really think concentration camps are a good thing?

Florida is a single US state, out of a country of 50 states, being a single country out of a continent. Australia is a continent all on it's own.

Australia: 2.97 million mi²
Florida: 65,758 mi²

Do the math on density. Australia is the world's least densely populated continent, aside from Antartica which does not have a permanent population.

None of the measures Australia is doing have any meaningful impact. Do you really think concentration camps are a good thing?
one of the articles I posted already addressed this. Most Australians live in dense cities.
yes, similar populations, Australia just handled the pandemic better. More testing, more adherence to methods that keep people getting infected, and so on.
More lives saved.

South African doctor who raised alarm about omicron variant says symptoms are ‘unusual but mild’

The first South African doctor to alert the authorities about patients with the omicron variant has told The Telegraph that the symptoms of the new variant are unusual but mild.

Dr Angelique Coetzee said she was first alerted to the possibility of a new variant when patients in her busy private practice in the capital Pretoria started to come in earlier this month with Covid-19 symptoms that did not make immediate sense.

They included young people of different backgrounds and ethnicities with intense fatigue and a six-year-old child with a very high pulse rate, she said. None suffered from a loss of taste or smell.

“Their symptoms were so different and so mild from those I had treated before,” said Dr Coetzee, a GP for 33 years who chairs the South African Medical Association alongside running her practice.

On November 18, when four family members all tested positive for Covid-19 with complete exhaustion, she informed the country’s vaccine advisory committee.

She said, in total, about two dozen of her patients have tested positive for Covid-19 with symptoms of the new variant. They were mostly healthy men who turned up “feeling so tired”. About half of them were unvaccinated.

“We had one very interesting case, a kid, about six years old, with a temperature and a very high pulse rate, and I wondered if I should admit her. But when I followed up two days later, she was so much better,” Dr Coetzee says.

Ok, I don't like posting one of those "individual stories" instead of data, but the only part of this article that matters is how lies and misinformation influenced this and many others to not respect science.

But why would someone such as John be inclined to take his information about the pandemic from social media influencers rather than scientific experts?

In 2009, Stafford co-authored a paper that surveyed people who lived on brownfield sites that might have been contaminated with pollutants. The survey asked the residents whom they trusted to tell them about the risks associated with living on the land. While most of the people trusted scientists to tell them the truth, they were almost as likely to take their information from family and friends, despite their total lack of expertise. “It wasn’t that they didn’t trust the expertise of the scientists,” Stafford says. “They knew that scientists knew about pollution. They just thought that the scientists didn’t have their interests at heart, whereas they knew that family and friends did.”

The internet replicates this fundamental human impulse – to trust family and friends almost as much as we trust experts – at scale. “We feel a connection to the people who are telling us things in a way that we don’t feel a connection to the Centers for Disease Control or the Joint Council on Vaccination and Immunisation,” Stafford says.

In the age of social media, we don’t even need to have met the people we trust as much as established experts. “That’s why social media is so dangerous,” says Stafford. “Because people share that emotional connection with influencers they might never have met. But it’s an asymmetrical intimacy. I may think I know that vlogger and they are talking to me. But really they’re talking to millions of people – and the advertisers generating them their revenue.”

The falsehoods that John repeated to his family and friends in the months leading up to his death are common tropes in online anti-vaccine spaces and easy to find: the vaccine has dangerous levels of formaldehyde in it; the vaccine is experimental; people are only getting the vaccine for free McDonald’s.

“The best thing that people can do is realise that social media platforms are fundamentally unsafe environments to gain facts about a pandemic that might kill you,” says Imran Ahmed, the CEO of the Center for Countering Digital Hate. “Social media contains vast amounts of misinformation that mingles seamlessly with good information. The misinformation might kill you.”

Fully Vaccinated LeBron James Tests Positive for Coronavirus

James tested positive on a lateral flow test. A follow-up PCR came back negative, but a third tie-breaking test came back positive, TMZ Sports reports.

According to WGN 9:

James is likely looking at a minimum of 10 days away from the Lakers unless he returns two negative PCR tests in a 24-hour span.
Being placed in the NBA’s virus protocols almost certainly means James, who said earlier this season that he is vaccinated, either tested positive for COVID-19 or had an inconclusive result.

The NBA, in a memo obtained by The Associated Press, also told its teams Tuesday that it has documented 34 cases in which a fully vaccinated player, coach or staffer had a breakthrough case of COVID-19. The league has said about 97% of players are fully vaccinated. Brooklyn’s Kyrie Irving, who has not played this season because of his status, is among the exceptions.

Should James miss the entire ten days mandated by the league for a positive test, he will miss at least four games.

Fully Vaccinated LeBron James Tests Positive for Coronavirus
James tested positive on a lateral flow test. A follow-up PCR came back negative, but a third tie-breaking test came back positive, TMZ Sports reports.

NBA ANNOUNCES FALSE POSITIVE COVID RESULTS FOR LEBRON JAMES, PERMITTING HIS RETURN FRIDAY VS. CLIPPERS

On Wednesday, LeBron tacitly put pressure on the NBA with a tweet, implying that the COVID situation was “fishy.”

According to the Association’s statement, James tested negative for COVID-19 twice based on two COVID tests conducted within 24 hours and is now out of the COVID safety protocols. Per the logic of the negative PCR tests, the Tuesday diagnosis was a false positive — prompting discussion as to how many times the NBA, and fellow leagues, have sat players out over false positives.

The NBA released the following regarding James’ eligibility to return for the 12-11 Lakers on Friday:

“Following two negative PCR tests conducted more than 24 hours apart, Los Angeles Lakers forward LeBron James has cleared the NBA’s Health & Safety Protocols. …

“James was originally placed in the Protocols on Tuesday, November 30 after a series of tests delivered conflicting results, including an initial positive test that was collected on November 29. Additional testing confirmed that he is not a positive case.

Do I need to elaborate?

-edit-

Screenshot of tweet for archival purposes below, just in case:

queen james.jpg

This episode came out like 3 days before the Omicron variant was discovered.

In case you don't follow football, Antonio Brown and 2 other players got in big trouble with the league for supposedly providing fake vaccine cards. It's actually a Federal Offense too, but we know that won't happen here. His career in the NFL is in jeopardy, but to be fair he is a big head case long before this. I'm not vouching for him or even taking any position, just sharing without opining and mildly curious if any truth. Such a hot button issue.

263263797_959803174664843_6418954996861382387_n.jpg

Minnesota hospitals beg people to get vaccinated

"How can we as a society stand by and watch people die?"

Nine Minnesota hospital systems published a joint letter Sunday saying that all of their beds are full, doctors and nurses are overwhelmed and demoralized, and their ability to provide care is threatened.
"We're heartbroken, we're overwhelmed... The situation is critical," they wrote in the letter, which was published as full-page ads in newspapers statewide. It was signed by executives from Allina Health, Children's Minnesota, CentraCare, Essentia Health, Fairview Health Services, HealthPartners, Hennepin Healthcare, Mayo Clinic, and North Memorial Health.
Minnesota currently has the third-highest rate of new daily COVID-19 infections of any state in the US, with 76 cases per 100,000 people. Cases have risen 24 percent over the last two weeks, and they are expected to continue rising. Test positivity in the North Star State is currently over 11 percent, and only 64 percent of the state is fully vaccinated.
Hospitalizations are already at record highs for 2021, with a seven-day average of over 1,770 and rising. The state's all-time record for hospitalizations was set last December at just over 2,000. On Friday, only 13 of the state's 1,012 staffed adult ICU beds were available, according to the Star Tribune.

Back