adz official depository for photos... now that he got "bomb" camera...

@adz- you made me look... :D

300px-Beechworthasylum.jpg

One of the distinctive features of both Kew Asylum and Beechworth Asylum is the use of a variation on Ha-Ha walls around the patients courtyards. These ha-has consisted of a trench, one side of which was vertical and faced with stone or bricks, the other side sloped and turfed. From the inside, the walls presented a tall face to patients, preventing them from escaping, while from outside, the walls looked low so as not to suggest imprisonment.

280px-Beechworth_ha-ha_inside_1.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beechworth_Asylum

they have ghost tours and do weddings...:cool:

After a delightful long weekend at Beechworth, I have the following snaps to present, first few are from the Mayday Hills Lunatic Asylum, the last two were taken in the township...

Hope you like 'em :)
Love 'em. Especially that last shot of the asylum taken from 100 light years away. ;)

Reactions: adz
that is rockin!
Thanks. I suppose that shot fits in well with the recent discussion on city parks. That was taken at the Fort Whyte Center, a nature sanctuary about 20-30 minutes bike ride from my house. If you drive there you need to pay admission at the gate, but there's a little bike trail that sneaks in through a foresty area and there's no admission gate there. That's how I got in to take that shot. :D

@adz- you made me look... :D

I aim to please :p

they have ghost tours and do weddings...:cool:

I did both of the ghost tours they offer, was well worth it as I got to go inside and explore quite a bit of the hospital, a lot of which is still in it's original state. They were night tours so I didn't get much chance to take many photos and whilst I'm not really a believer in ghosts, I saw a few things that certainly raised an eyebrow.

Love 'em. Especially that last shot of the asylum taken from 100 light years away. ;)

Thank you :) I was quite amazed at how dark the skies were and how clear the Milky Way was to the naked eye. That shot was a 30 second exposure at f4 and ISO 3200, had to shoot it at f4 as at 2.8 the stars at the borders were smearing a little, only real downside to that is the longer exposure which makes the stars look a bit elongated at high magnification, photography is all about compromise...

Back