Joe Rogan Butthurt Cream

I get the idea it's not just the algorithms. The algorithms are being used with 'apples of discord' - ideas that are meticulously crafted with one goal: quarrels and division, for weakening our political culture.
Take for instance the 'new rainbowflag'; the rainbow as such is a very recognisable and powerful symbol for diversity. But apparently to some it wasn't inclusive enough, so they made a new rainbow flag:

lgbt-pride-flag-redesign-hero-852x480.jpg

Ironically, to me this looks like a big wedge being shoved between the colours. A striking symbol for an apple of discord which in the lgbt community is on itself an apple of discord.
Yes, the absurd meddling with that flag is a metaphor for our time.

I get the idea it's not just the algorithms. The algorithms are being used with 'apples of discord' - ideas that are meticulously crafted with one goal: quarrels and division, for weakening our political culture.
Take for instance the 'new rainbowflag'; the rainbow as such is a very recognisable and powerful symbol for diversity. But apparently to some it wasn't inclusive enough, so they made a new rainbow flag:

lgbt-pride-flag-redesign-hero-852x480.jpg

Ironically, to me this looks like a big wedge being shoved between the colours. A striking symbol for an apple of discord which in the lgbt community is on itself an apple of discord.
And the white bit is the biggest part of the wedge pushing the black bit ahead as the point of the wedge.

Trouble is, LGBT acceptance is still very precarious in countries like those in the eastern bloc. This makes acceptance farther away than ever. It puts peoples lives very much in danger.
There is no LGBT. The Ls and Gs really have no interest in each other. Both look at Bs as fence sitters and T just doesn't fit at all. I'm overgeneralizing a bit but LGBTQIA2S+ is just a cat herd. They don't have many common interests and many of their interests are at odds with each other.
I used to know far more gay people back when I was more involved with theatre and entertainment but that was back in the LGB days. These days it seems to me that the majority of the activism seems to be coming from the TQIA2S+ newcomers parasitizing the LGB movement and their young, mostly white straight allies, looking for virtue points.
Admittedly Twitter is a shit show and not real life but I've seen some nasty mobbings of lesbians who say they don't have any interest in having sex with trans lesbian penis havers. It seems it's much less about gay rights now and much more about ideology.

Last night YouTube's algorithm served me up a repeat of this old Christopher Hitchens interview with John Metzger. It's a great reminder of how interviewers can deal with questionable or objectionable views and how idiotically counterproductive the whole "deplatforming" movement is.

Crosby is another musician I love but he doesn't appear to realise that the very platform he's making that announcement on also hosts Joe Rogan. Why isn't he closing his Twitter account too?
Net Worth
Neil Young$200 million
Joni Mitchell$100 million
David Crosby$10 million

I guess it's fine to see multimillionaires put themselves on the line like this but, even spending what they have at a lavish rate, they are old and their lives will run out before their dollars do. That is to say they really aren't risking much.
Surely, one might say, they could do more good using their money philanthropically, and Neil Young certainly does. Among the 7 organisations he supports is MusiCares which declared him their person of the year in 2010. Joni Mitchell is their person of the year for 2022.
MusiCares seems to do good work supporting musicians but I get the feeling that pulling their music from spotify will be a good thing for younger musicians as old music is sucking all the air out of the room and new musicians are struggling to make a buck.
Admittedly, they made some good music back in the day - and I'm not going to throw out their records. In fact, I may subversively stick them on the turntable and give them a spin knowing that I can listen to the songs as often as I want and they don't make a cent from each play. Oh that old fashioned non-monetizable music format. I paid for it just the once, and that's all the dollars they'll ever get from me. :)

Anyway, to Joe Rogan I'd just like to say:

There's colors on the street
Red, white and blue
People shufflin' their feet
People sleepin' in their shoes
But there's a warnin' sign on the road ahead
There's a lot of people sayin' we'd be better off dead
Don't feel like Satan, but I am to them
So I try to forget it any way I can

Keep on rockin' in the free world

Crosby is another musician I love but he doesn't appear to realise that the very platform he's making that announcement on also hosts Joe Rogan. Why isn't he closing his Twitter account too?
I'm no fan of Twitter having seen them leave up morons who have posted violent, horrific content and then ban people for no good reason, however, they have been trying to remove blatant covid misinformation.
I can't tell how effective they are at it. I can only see that they are trying so I can't accuse anyone of hypocrisy over THIS one issue.

Last night YouTube's algorithm served me up a repeat of this old Christopher Hitchens interview with John Metzger. It's a great reminder of how interviewers can deal with questionable or objectionable views and how idiotically counterproductive the whole "deplatforming" movement is.
wow, that was brilliant.
I love the casual mention of William Buckley. Intelligent (political) conversation has gone right in the toilet these days.
I always enjoyed listening to Buckley because he was so articulate.

Where are the smart people?

I'm no fan of Twitter having seen them leave up morons who have posted violent, horrific content and then ban people for no good reason, however, they have been trying to remove blatant covid misinformation.
I can't tell how effective they are at it. I can only see that they are trying so I can't accuse anyone of hypocrisy over THIS one issue.
Twitter isn't omniscient. They don't and can't know what's true. I'd go so far as to say they don't care what's true. There is a narrative that powerful people NEED to be taken as truth and all other opinions must be hidden from view so that there shall be no awkward questions. They push "repressive tolerance". Some things must not be said.

... I get the feeling that pulling their music from spotify will be a good thing for younger musicians as old music is sucking all the air out of the room and new musicians are struggling to make a buck.
Well, maybe, but if the only way people will listen to my music is if other music somehow "goes away" I don't think I'd be overly convinced my music was even anywhere near as good as, let alone better than the other music.
Admittedly, they made some good music back in the day - and I'm not going to throw out their records.
I've said this multiple times on here but I suppose it bears yet another repetition; if I only listened to records of people I always agree with, I'd probably have a vinyl collection in single figures instead of thousands.
I certainly won't be throwing out any of my Young, Mitchell or Crosby records simply because I think they've made an arse of this issue.
Nor will I be seeking to conspiracy-theory their respective motives into something worse than them making what I consider to be a bad call on an understandably emotive issue.

Yes, I get all of that but my point was more aimed at Crosby. He's happy to share some platforms with Joe Rogan (Twitter, Youtube, etc.) but not Spotify. It's a bit silly. Same goes for Young & Mitchell. It saddens me to see artists I adore making such an arse of it. If you really can't bear to share a platform with Joe Rogan, quit all of them. Otherwise, STFU.

Nor will I be seeking to conspiracy-theory their respective motives into something worse than them making what I consider to be a bad call on an understandably emotive issue.
I think it is fair to note that there is a difference between a conspiracy theory and a religion. Not all conspiracy theories are religions, and vice versa. The idea that Joe Rogan is corrupting the world is an article of faith. Renouncing Satan is a profession of belief, a solemn vow, and an abiding bond to the church and congregation. (All the better if it costs you a bit).

I think it is fair to note that there is a difference between a conspiracy theory and a religion. Not all conspiracy theories are religions, and vice versa. The idea that Joe Rogan is corrupting the world is an article of faith. Renouncing Satan is a profession of belief, a solemn vow, and an abiding bond to the church and congregation. (All the better if it costs you a bit).
I don't know that I agree with any of that other than, yes, there is a difference between a conspiracy theory and a religion. I know nuance is becoming rarer than rocking horse shite but it's possible to hold in one's head simultaneously that Joe Rogan can be an irresponsible wanker whilst also thinking those that want to silence Joe Rogan are themselves being irresponsible wankers. And those that seek to embellish and attribute increasingly sinister motives to all concerned are possibly the biggest wankers of the lot. Sometimes the thing is just the thing.

wow, that was brilliant.
I love the casual mention of William Buckley. Intelligent (political) conversation has gone right in the toilet these days.
Yes, it's a tragic reminder of how pathetic modern public discourse has become.

I don't know that I agree with any of that other than, yes, there is a difference between a conspiracy theory and a religion. I know nuance is becoming rarer than rocking horse shite but it's possible to hold in one's head simultaneously that Joe Rogan can be an irresponsible wanker whilst also thinking those that want to cancel Joe Rogan for being an irresponsible wanker are themselves being wankers. And those that seek to embellish and attribute increasingly sinister motives to all concerned are possibly the biggest wankers of the lot. Sometimes the thing is just the thing.
Joe Rogan could be an irresponsible wanker, but is he? The problem (which I don't think is a problem but some ideologues do) is that Rogan has people on who have mainstream opinions AND people who don't. These days they call that "platforming". Grownups just a few years ago were able to handle hearing things they disagreed with, or being aware that people with differing opinions existed. I'm not sure any of his critics have ever listened to any of his "problematic" shows to know what was discussed but instead run on rumours of what was said or specially selected soundbites. The fact that many believed (and still are willing to perform the mental acrobatics to retain the belief) that Joe took horse dewormer even though he took a human formulation of i***m**tin prescribed by a doctor is indicative of the fact that people like regurgitating talking points more than they like listening and thinking.

Joe Rogan could be an irresponsible wanker, but is he?
Not always but he's already acknowledged that he sometimes has been.
The problem (which I don't think is a problem but some ideologues do) is that Rogan has people on who have mainstream opinions AND people who don't. These days they call that "platforming".
Yes, and the people who promote "de-platforming" are the more pertinent problem, not Rogan.
Grownups just a few years ago were able to handle hearing things they disagreed with, or being aware that people with differing opinions existed.
Indeed. The Hitchens clip I posted above is a great example of what we've lost in that regard.
I'm not sure any of his critics have ever listened to any of his "problematic" shows to know what was discussed but instead run on rumours of what was said or specially selected soundbites.
I don't think that's necessarily true. I've both criticised and defended him, so I suppose that makes me a critic, but I've also listened to dozens of his shows. However, I'd agree that a lot of critics do fit that description.

Another commentary on the "misinformation" from the British Medical Journal.

Back