Two explosions went off near the finish line of the Boston Marathon

Allowed as in permitted and allowed as in failed to prevent
That doesn't clarify anything, but thanks anyway.

True, some of us do get "acclimatized" and that's a shame. The likelihood of being killed by a terrorist might be small, but still, someone dies and it can be prevented and it should.

True, some of us do get "acclimatized" and that's a shame. The likelihood of being killed by a terrorist might be small, but still, someone dies and it can be prevented and it should.

what would that look like?

Well duh, of course anyone who sets off a bomb wants maximum impact. If you have your choice of targets why not pick the one with maximum impact? However, the blast itself isn't that spectacular and in this age everyone is a walking camera man. Meaning, you really don't need to plan much to make sure the full gory carnage gets picked up by the masses quickly.
Not necessarily true. The reason I say this is various terrorists groups do small runs. These act as a staging device to understand the operational response. The real attack comes with larger impact and more optimized to take advantage of weaknesses in the system. So while I'd bet on the 'maximum' option, we really can't say until the criminals are caught and their motivations better understood.

Because it's innately ambiguous.
Sure, but at what cost? The cost of us not blowing other people's kids up and calling it "collateral damage" or "an operation" or "surgical strike"? At the cost of not controlling the worlds resources? At the cost of finally having to pay what things actually cost? Or, it could be that the cost wouldn't be born by us but by people much more "important" than us. I've seen too many videos of kids bodies getting pulled out of the rubble of buildings we blew up for their own good - willing to dish it, not willing to take it. But if all those foreign families I'll never meet are not my problem, then neither are these foreign people I'll never meet. Give it a week. We'll see the pictures of the dead (as they were in life) over and over and hear from their families then it will go underground into legislation to pop up from time to time as a grenade that the parties can lob at each other, "Sandy Hook", the Dems will lob. "Boston Marathon" the Reps will lob back. The next thing you know the gubmint will be coming for our bombs, or our books, or whatever it takes and how ever many doors they need to kick down and how ever many people have to disappear in the night for Americans to be safe.

But for the rest of us, in between those sound bites - hardly anyone will remember or care by May.

These act as a staging device to understand the operational response. The real attack comes with larger impact and more optimized to take advantage of weaknesses in the system.
If they are probing they won't need to do it on TV. Keeping it out of the way and small time would be better. If they go straight to a televised event then that's the money shot - it means that's all the capabilities they have and it's important for as many people as possible to see it.

Sure, but at what cost? The cost of us not blowing other people's kids up and calling it "collateral damage" or "an operation" or "surgical strike"? At the cost of not controlling the worlds resources? At the cost of finally having to pay what things actually cost? Or, it could be that the cost wouldn't be born by us but by people much more "important" than us. I've seen too many videos of kids bodies getting pulled out of the rubble of buildings we blew up for their own good - willing to dish it, not willing to take it. But if all those foreign families I'll never meet are not my problem, then neither are these foreign people I'll never meet. Give it a week. We'll see the pictures of the dead (as they were in life) over and over and hear from their families then it will go underground into legislation to pop up from time to time as a grenade that the parties can lob at each other, "Sandy Hook", the Dems will lob. "Boston Marathon" the Reps will lob back. The next thing you know the gubmint will be coming for our bombs, or our books, or whatever it takes and how ever many doors they need to kick down and how ever many people have to disappear in the night for Americans to be safe.
First of all, you're assuming the Boston bombs are a foreign attack. Sure the evidence points that way, but it's not concrete yet. But for the sake of argument, let's assume that's how it is.

I admit that the Iraq invasion complicates my argument here. It's one of the main reasons I opposed the invasion as it took away any semblance of a moral high ground. I wanted to see the US go in the opposite direction and that is, to distance itself from the oppressive regimes in the region. And in some ways they have done that, Mubarak would not have fallen if that weren't the case. But I think it's wrong to say that the US is the primary target of jihadists, they're just one of many targets. The prime concern for al-Qaeda is the Middle East, Saudi Arabia above all else.

Also, I don't think it's impossible to feel compassion for both the victims in Boston and the victims in Baghdad. I know it's been a while since we discussed the events in Baghdad but years ago we had lots to say about it - unfortunately it's just become routine there and there's really nothing new to say. I certainly felt the horror when I saw the aftermath of those bombings, however, I'm not sure why I shouldn't when I see the same in Boston. As for the drones strikes which are primarily in Northern Pakistan... I don't think anyone is happy about that, but we're talking about a lawless area that is saturated with people who are devoted to murdering others around the world. It should be up to Pakistan to clean up that mess but they are either unwilling or unable. The fact is something has to be done because the drone strikes alone are not enough to put an end to them - although it seems it has kept them from greater effectiveness. And yes it's sad to see children even in Northern Pakistan being killed, however it seems there's really no way to prevent children from being killed either here or there. It's either those kids that die from a US drone or some other kid that dies from a terrorist bomb. It's a very ugly situation, but if I had to pick I'd rather the kids in Northern Pakistan die.

Not necessarily true. The reason I say this is various terrorists groups do small runs. These act as a staging device to understand the operational response. The real attack comes with larger impact and more optimized to take advantage of weaknesses in the system. So while I'd bet on the 'maximum' option, we really can't say until the criminals are caught and their motivations better understood.
They do dry runs, without the boom. The guy who planted the 2010 NYC Times Square bomb confessed to doing a dry run, which was useful as it helped him pick an appropriate parking spot. The 9/11 attackers conducted dry runs smuggling box cutters past security.

Making a small boom to help prepare for a big boom makes less sense. Why? Well, it would suffer from the observer effect. Any attack is likely to heighten security but also to bring in new security protocols. So whatever you learn about your target's vulnerabilities might be invalid almost immediately.

First of all, you're assuming the Boston bombs are a foreign attack. Sure the evidence points that way
really? It never looked like that to me.

it feels much more like a Oklahoma bombing / and people who kill doctors at health clinics - some American right wing wackadoodle

in any case the investigation continues and there are pictures of the bomb Before it explodes...... and an arrest HAS been made!!!

just heard this now (from two video's taken of the area they identified someone dropping off the bomb)

really? It never looked like that to me.

it feels much more like a Oklahoma bombing / and people who kill doctors at health clinics - some American right wing wackadoodle
That's kinda what i thought too. However the pressure cooker bomb seems popular with islamists and was also part of the nyc 2010 times square attempt. But, I'm also confident that Americans are capable of learning from islamic terrorists. And in a way i hope its not al qaida.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

well, now that we have an arrest we should be getting more info.......

oy vey, now we are hearing there's no arrest :rolleyes:

news media getting ants in their pants

As for the drones strikes which are primarily in Northern Pakistan... I don't think anyone is happy about that, but we're talking about a lawless area that is saturated with people who are devoted to murdering others around the world.

Saturated? Sure you're not over-egging things a tad?

Btw, the ricin tainted letters are probably not a coincidence and I feel those point more towards a home grown attacker.

As for the media, that's to be expected. They're falling over themselves trying to report something, anything. The very first headline I read about the bombing actually stated "12 Dead in Boston Bomb". Thankfully that was totally wrong.

Saturated? Sure you're not over-egging things a tad?
Obviously Waziristan is a large area and people are spread all over the place, but the people are tribal meaning tightly knit. We're clearly not talking about major cities here where we can expect diversity. If you walk into a village and find one terrorist there's likely to be a lot more. I have no doubt that the people of Waziristan are predominantly Pashtun and sympathetic to the Taliban.

Anyway, Waziristan is like the Ft Bragg for terrorists - they go there from around the world, train, hook up with other terrorists and receive their marching orders. Pakistan has made some attempts to crack down but they never seem to finish the job.

Yup, that didn't take long.

It would be more like a left wing wackadoodle, like Obama's close personal friend Bill Ayers.

Yup, that didn't take long.

It would be more like a left wing wackadoodle, like Obama's close personal friend Bill Ayers.
are you actually siding with right wing wackadoodles ???

I really don't understand this point of view.

more often than not Violent people in this country are right-wing. and often religious

KKK
those White supremacist Nazi kids
the Waco nut
Tim McVeigh
the nut in AZ that shot the congresswoman (and others)
and so on

it just isn't an unreasonable guess

Back