Two explosions went off near the finish line of the Boston Marathon

left, right, middle or fringe... pretty much moot... revolutionaries are killing for your cause, and terrorists are killing for theirs too... jackboots are jackboots... they all chafe your neck...

All of those bombers are now either professors (and/or in prison) and were early chemistry and pressure cooker enthusiasts. Now they educate your children and make you pay for the indoctrination.

and your guys put CIA agents in the universities to be agents provocateur... almost all of the fbi and cia cases against terrorists in this country have been fomented and assisted at every level by the people we are paying to prevent that nonsense... the weatherman bombed empty government buildings to protest the endless slaughter in vietnam... too much? prolly so... but guess what? when we were on the brink of ending that war, richard nixon went behind everyones back and put a stop to it... 15,000 more men died because of it... you should feel silly right now...

It always seemed to me that if you went far enough to either the left or right you ended up being functionally identical to whatever the opposite side was.

Fascism: where corporations own the government

Communism: where government owns the corporations.

YMMV of course.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk HD

Today, more than a few people have pointed out that the 2010 “Inspire” article included instructions for building a homemade explosive out of a pressure cooker – exactly the sort of device that appears to have been used at Monday’s Boston Marathon bombings. More than 24 hours later, with no indication yet that authorities know who committed the attack, some are understandably wondering if this apparent connection might suggest al-Qaeda’s hand.

But there are some good reasons to hold off on drawing any conclusions from the fact that “Inspire” wrote about pressure cooker bombs.
I agree, the pressure cooker evidence is very weak. But it's a clue none the less. Yes it was published in the anarchist's cook book many years before it was in Inspire. But it should also be stated that Inspire isn't the only link to al-Qaeda. Pressure cooker bombs have become very popular in Asia lately, probably because they're very common there. They've been reported to be fairly common in Afghanistan for example. Where as bombings have occurred in the US before, pressure cooker bombs have been rare.

Now, that could mean al-Qaeda dudes have some how got in past all our defenses and set the bombs or perhaps a former NATO soldier learned how to make the bombs and has now gone rogue fighting his own personal war. It could also be someone completely unrelated to the war on terror set the bombs. Personally, I think it's pretty much a 50/50 split in terms of the likelihood of it being domestic or foreign.

Who's this guy hyperbole you keep speaking of? If he some sort of Boogeyman that spooks you ar night?

Of all the posters on this site, could you point to anyone more prone to "sky-is-falling" type exaggeration than you?
I know Mike is having a bit of a tilt at it above but he has a bit to go before he can measure up. ;)

humans must be cautious with their hatreds; lest they inevitably become the ugliness they purport to loathe...

An therefore "devoted to murdering others around the world"?

This sounds like hyperbole of Jim proportions.

I'm not saying you're wrong - I've never been there so I don't know for sure.

However, I doubt very much you have either and your claim smells like seriously exaggerated shite to me.

Obviously I've never been there either. But what I do know is that the Pakistani government is scared to venture in there. I know that terrorists from around the world go there to train. I know that many of the pro-al-Qaeda web sites originate from there. It is certainly the Taliban's stronghold, and one of al-Qaeda's strongholds as well. It would be the safest place in the world if you were a terrorist if it weren't for those pesky drones.

But obviously not everyone there is a terrorist. And I know this because someone is feeding the CIA with critical targeting information. Clearly there are those in Waziristan who want the terrorists dead.

Snip snip - just make a few changes there and ....
Obviously I've never been there either. But what I do know is that the other world governments are scared to venture in there. I know that terrorists from around the world go there to train. I know that many of the pro-capitalist web sites originate from there. It is certainly the Great Satan's stronghold, and one of capitalism's strongholds as well. It would be the safest place in the world if you were a terrorist if it weren't for those pesky pressure cooker bombs.

But obviously not everyone there is a terrorist. And I know this because someone is feeding our martyrs with critical targeting information. Clearly there are those in Amrika who want the terrorists dead.
.. done.

All a matter of perspective. Terrorists are the people trying to kill you. When you find bits of your kid in a smoking crater it's quite clear that the guys flying the drones are the ones creating terror.

All a matter of perspective. Terrorists are the people trying to kill you. When you find bits of your kid in a smoking crater it's quite clear that the guys flying the drones are the ones creating terror.
So you say, but I don't fully buy into that. Groups like al-Qaeda know that the US is reluctant to launch missiles when they are in a crouded area which is why they love to hide in such places. That is their shield. But they can't always be shielded and sometimes we have to kill innocents. Some wanted a bomb to be used against Osama bin Ladden instead of the Seal team, and that would have killed the kids living in the compound. It's nice that they were able to get in there and kill mostly al-Qaeda guys, but I also understand that saving the kids is not the reason they put in the Seals. Personally if I were president I wouldn't hold back from killing everyone in that compound if the Seal team was a no-go for whatever reason. In war it doesn't pay to be nice or moral or fair. All that matters is that your enemy is dead or defeated and you're alive. Osama bin Ladden would still be alive if he never orchestrated the 9/11 attacks.

And oh yeah, you continue to imply that al-Qaeda is fighting capitalism. Sorry, that's just your vicarious fantasy being placed on al-Qaedas expeditions. I know you cheered on as you watched the twin towers burn as if it was an attack against capitalism, but that wasn't the target. If the US is the imperialistic oppressor of the Middle East, al-Qaeda is NOT their champion nor their liberator. al-Qaeda only wants what the US has, and that is to be the ones who do the oppressing. Also, I don't think most people in the Middle East would actually prefer to trade the US for al-Qaeda. Far from it.

Btw, here's an interesting question that I'm asking in this thread but it's about the gun control defeat:

Did the Boston bombing provide cover for some senators who may have voted for the new gun controls due to public pressure but ended up voting against them thinking everyone is distracted?

Groups like al-Qaeda know that the US is reluctant to launch missiles when they are in a crouded area which is why they love to hide in such places.
And it's also a place where they can't attack Americans.

But they can't always be shielded and sometimes we have to kill innocents.
No we don't. When the innocents are Americans the Americans don't do it. They are not so reluctant when it's other people's innocents. Terrorists do that - some innocents have to die to get the job done - it's "necessary".

Some wanted a bomb to be used against Osama bin Ladden instead of the Seal team, and that would have killed the kids living in the compound.
You could just put people around the compound, cut him off. Could Osama arrange a helicopter? Maybe, but even then you could follow him. You've got the man power to just take him into custody. They could have taken out O.J. Simpon at any time on that long chase (and they likely would have done if it wasn't O.J.) but the point is that they don't NEED to. Knew where he was - put him under siege, cut his communications, bring him out, try him, put him in jail.

Personally if I were president I wouldn't hold back from killing everyone in that compound if the Seal team was a no-go for whatever reason. In war it doesn't pay to be nice or moral or fair.
Sure it matters - if you are the "Good Guys". If you have overwhelming power and capabilities and superior morals, how can you justify acting like terrorists? What other compounds would you blow up? Is there a bad neighbourhood nearby where all the trouble comes from? Would you blow that up too? Is there room for morals and fairness in the war on crime?
And oh yeah, you continue to imply that al-Qaeda is fighting capitalism.[...] al-Qaeda only wants what the US has, and that is to be the ones who do the oppressing.
Well there's a nice admission at the end of that but let me skip back to the start.
Al Qaeda is not fighting "capitalism" per se but decadence - or, at least, this is the philosophy that spawned it. What it's actually fighting for depends on who is fighting since Al Qaeda is not so much an organization but a brand. But back to the Wahabist roots. Decadence destroys faith and corrupts the soul - it takes you away from Allah, the pleasures of the world blind you to the rewards of the spirit. Al Qaeda is fighting a war against evil, they are fighting the forces of Satan. At base, these fighters are the good guys on the side of morals and God. In that they are the same as other fundies - you know, they can kill because they are right and those they kill are either wrong or at fault for hanging out with the enemy (or not joining the fight against the enemy. You're either with them or with the enemy).
Certainly there are more sophisticated people who plot and carry out attacks and who operate on more sophisticated economic and geopolitical theories like the guys that hit the financial district, the pentagon and quite possibly were hoping to hit the White House too. That was clearly an attack on the US instruments of world power and not a religious statement or a campaign of terror - those were targeted attacks on actual organs of influence projection.

As for Boston, who knows the motivation behind that. It could be someone who hates runners. It could be someone who just has a dark mind and wants to hurt people. It could be "patriots" choosing Boston and Patriots Day to announce themselves. It could be a way to tie Israel's Independence Day to Patriot Day and make it a future Israel/America Solidarity Day. (If it were something like that then don't ever expect the case to get solved). It could be something coming out of Syria or Iran as blow back but Syria and Iran would be crazy to do that before actual open hostilities. It could be Russian or Chinese backed destabilization, but it would be clumsy ineffectual without sustained follow-up and neither of them are ready to fill the vacuum that would be left - they'd rather take over slowly. Or it could just be some guys who are fed up with the US killing Muslims without consequence.

One of the things that makes it terrorizing is the senseless randomness of it - but what if there was a specific runner they were trying to kill? Then the dead and injured would just be collateral damage and we'd all feel so much better.

couple days before the 19th and a fertilizer plant near Waco goes boom just like the murrah building and not one news agency is asking what started the fire at a place, where accidents like that, just don't happen...

Btw, here's an interesting question that I'm asking in this thread but it's about the gun control defeat:

Did the Boston bombing provide cover for some senators who may have voted for the new gun controls due to public pressure but ended up voting against them thinking everyone is distracted?

quite simply, no... nobody, and i mean nobody... is going to let uncle sam willingly make a list of people they can call too crazy to own a gun... that leads to too crazy to be breathing... and at some point we would all make that list...

And it's also a place where they can't attack Americans.
Is that so? Americans use drones, piloted from thousands of miles away to guide their instruments of death. Al-qaeda does the exact same thing but instead of drones they use people to place the bombs in place and detonate them. They're not piloting a sophisticated air craft or pressing a button to fire remotely, but are they not pointing to a map and a calender and setting a plan in motion? The end result is the same except that al-Qaeda targets random people where as the US doesn't. And we know this because if the US was targeting random people they have such a vast array of fire power that they would lay them all to waiste. The US is using an incredible amount of restraint where as al-Qaeda is putting everything it has into killing random people.

You could just put people around the compound, cut him off. Could Osama arrange a helicopter? Maybe, but even then you could follow him. You've got the man power to just take him into custody.
Location and politics prevented that and you know it. Pakistan is not trusted. He was just down the street from Pakistan's "West Point", I'd be suspicious that someone in the know would tip him off. Sure the US could have tried to play fair and follow the Fluffy rules of engagement, but that most likely would have allowed him to get away. There's no prize for finishing second place even if you're really really nice.

They could have taken out O.J. Simpon at any time on that long chase (and they likely would have done if it wasn't O.J.) but the point is that they don't NEED to.
They would have taken him out if he flashed a gun.

Sure it matters - if you are the "Good Guys". If you have overwhelming power and capabilities and superior morals, how can you justify acting like terrorists? What other compounds would you blow up? Is there a bad neighbourhood nearby where all the trouble comes from? Would you blow that up too? Is there room for morals and fairness in the war on crime?
There are a lot of factors involved here. Obviously if you can rely on regular police to do the job, that's how it's done. We've seen al-Qaeda guys arrested throughout the US and Europe and we didn't take them out with a drone strike. We've even seen al-Qaeda guys arrested in some parts of Pakistan and that was because the location was in an area where the Pakistani police were willing and trusted to capture the al-Qaeda guys. Again, no need for a drone strike. But when the al-Qaeda guys hide in the lawless mountain areas that are difficult to reach we've seen that the Pakistanis are reluctant. Similar situation in Yemen and parts of Africa. The question is, what to do about them? If we call off the drone strikes, would al-Qaeda decide to call off their terror campaigns? I seriously doubt it. Most certainly they'd re-establish their madrassas and churn out more, higher quality terrorists. We'd be following Fluffy's rules of engagement but more people would die. Thanks but no thanks.

Well there's a nice admission at the end of that but let me skip back to the start.
Admission of what? Only the guilt make admissions. Stating facts isn't an admission. But that's an interesting ploy to make it look like you're the "Good Guy".

Al Qaeda is not fighting "capitalism" per se but decadence - or, at least, this is the philosophy that spawned it.
Nah, they're not fighting that either. Or at least, that's not why they picked a fight with the US. We covered all this in the lead up to the Iraq invasion. Al-Qaeda wants to topple the House of Saud. They accuse the House of Saud to be illegitimate (and they're probably right about that) and they want to topple it and replace it with their own twisted brand of Islamic rule. I really don't think al-Qaeda gives a shit about America but they care lots about Saudi Arabia. When they attacked NYC in 2001 they made sure most of the attackers were from the Kingdom along with a few from Kuwait. I'm guessing they thought that would create a rift between the US and the House of Saud that they could exploit. It didn't pan out that way and in the end al-Qaeda got hammered in Afghanistan and pounded in Pakistan. I'd bet that al-Qaeda was probably more surprised than anyone to see the US invade Iraq (if they wanted that outcome they probably would have included some Iraqis in the 9/11 plot).

Decadence destroys faith and corrupts the soul - it takes you away from Allah, the pleasures of the world blind you to the rewards of the spirit.
Now you sound like George Bush before the Iraq invasion. "They hate us for our freedom". I thought we were all in agreement that that was a load of BS.

Certainly there are more sophisticated people who plot and carry out attacks and who operate on more sophisticated economic and geopolitical theories like the guys that hit the financial district, the pentagon and quite possibly were hoping to hit the White House too. That was clearly an attack on the US instruments of world power and not a religious statement or a campaign of terror - those were targeted attacks on actual organs of influence projection.
Those were all world famous symbols of US power and everyone was supposed to know that those who did it were from Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.

It could be a way to tie Israel's Independence Day to Patriot Day and make it a future Israel/America Solidarity Day. (If it were something like that then don't ever expect the case to get solved).
Nice setup. There's always a chance that they'll never find the bombers regardless of who they are, but now you planted a seed to point us in your favorite direction. There's also a real chance that Israel was behind the attack and that they will be exposed.

One of the things that makes it terrorizing is the senseless randomness of it - but what if there was a specific runner they were trying to kill? Then the dead and injured would just be collateral damage and we'd all feel so much better.
Well, that could be more terrorizing than anything actually. They set of two bombs at the biggest marathon event outside of the Olympics and they failed to kill a single runner. That kind of ruthlessness and capability mixed with bad aim is scary indeed!

But to address that more directly with some examples... A Colombian drug cartel placed a bomb on an airline in an attempt to kill a presidential candidate. The target missed the flight but 110 random people were killed. Oops. Would you call that terrorism or just extreme ruthlessness? I'd probably go with the latter. North Korea bombed Korean airlines flight 858 in an attempt to discourage people from attending the Seoul Olympics in 1988. That was terrorism.

Of all the posters on this site, could you point to anyone more prone to "sky-is-falling" type exaggeration than you?
I know Mike is having a bit of a tilt at it above but he has a bit to go before he can measure up. ;)

Sky is falling exaggeration? You mean like in 2006-2008 when I warned the USA was in for some really rough times? You aren't in the states but trust me, the 2008-2009 was much worse than your media probably told you. It wasn't a Recession, it was a full blown Depression. We avoided the total bloodbath on the streets because Bush/Obama/Bernanke patched and re-inflated the bubbles.

We are at the edge of a cliff again and I can only pray to God/Tree/Obama/Whatever that we don't fall off, but I worry we do. It will be much worse this time. The USA blew its load re-inflating the last bubbles. There is no ammo left in the clip. If you don't understand what is going on in the US, EU and elsewhere is bad ,I can't help you. Ask Fluffy why Gold prices dropping like now is not normal and why it could be a harbinger of things to come.

Is that so?
Yeah, pretty much - they have dick for capabilities. They can plan there and they can train there but they have to get there and they have to get back by conventional means. They have to travel, get tracked, make phone calls and once they get to where they're going they have to carry out the mission without being intercepted or detected like those 911 guys did. There aren't that many people with the resources and will to do all that. Sure, they form gangs and they stalk about the mountains of Pakistan and Afghanistan and THAT is the real problem the US is trying to address - those people who live in the region and take exception at US occupation of Afghanistan have a base in which to train and rest and resupply in that is basically under the protection of Pakistan because certain elements in the ISI like to look on these guys as their own personal rebel force. The US isn't bombing them because they are afraid that they will come pouring into the US. It's not "we have to fight them over there so we don't have to fight them over here". It's "we have to fight them over there because that's they are competing with us to hold territory over there".

Location and politics prevented that and you know it. Pakistan is not trusted. He was just down the street from Pakistan's "West Point", I'd be suspicious that someone in the know would tip him off.

You wouldn't need to tell Pakistan - they didn't tell them, did they? It's not like the US worries much about what Pakistan thinks. It's not like conducting a military raid into Pakistan didn't piss them off. It's not like flying drones all over and killing people in Pakistani territory isn't pissing them off. They could have injected a force into Pakistan to deal with Osama and once there Pakistan would have had to "co-operate" in helping to arrest Osama. They had no interest in arresting him though. The Taliban offered to hand him over before the US war on Afghanistan but putting people you've had relationships with on trial is embarrassing.
They would have taken him out if he flashed a gun.
I doubt it - because he's OJ.

the FBI JUST had a news conference where they showed pictures of two suspects

guys that dropped the bags

I would show you the pics but the FBI.gov is currently not available

Admission of what?
Just the one about who's oppressing whom.
But that's an interesting ploy to make it look like you're the "Good Guy".
No - my real cunning ploy to try to look like the "Good Guy" is saying that if we really don't want to hurt innocent people, and we have such grand ideals and awesome capabilities, innocent people shouldn't be getting hurt. But they are. In droves - therefore when we say we don't want to hurt innocent people it's bullshit. We are quite willing to kill and maim a lot of innocent people to get what we want. We just don't care as much as we say we do.

They accuse the House of Saud to be illegitimate (and they're probably right about that) and they want to topple it and replace it with their own twisted brand of Islamic rule. I really don't think al-Qaeda gives a shit about America but they care lots about Saudi Arabia. When they attacked NYC in 2001 they made sure most of the attackers were from the Kingdom along with a few from Kuwait.
Hey, whoa there you tin foil hatter!! That sounds like a conspiracy theory. :)

Now you sound like George Bush before the Iraq invasion. "They hate us for our freedom".
Exactly - and I was going there deliberately. Were you?

But to address that more directly with some examples... A Colombian drug cartel placed a bomb on an airline in an attempt to kill a presidential candidate. The target missed the flight but 110 random people were killed. Oops. Would you call that terrorism or just extreme ruthlessness?
I'd just say you were missing the irony. If we bomb a Pakistani wedding thinking that there are some local guerrillas in the crowd but they aren't there and we kill a lot of kids ... are we just being ruthless? Doesn't matter - we won't run pictures of mangled people on the news and everyone can sleep easily.

Back